Updating Class libraries (DLLs) for MVC app while website is running RRS feed

• Question

• User-734459410 posted

Can I update class libraries (DLLs) that are part of my MVC application by simply copying them over to the server (overwriting the old copies of the DLL files that are changed) and restarting IIS/web service?  Or do I need to remove and re-deploy the site again on the server?

I am mainly updating existing code / controllers and adding some new ones as well (new functionality) to our existing website, which is an internal company Intranet site, so i'ts not critical if it's down for 5 minutes or so.

Friday, February 2, 2018 4:09 AM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi cbassett,

Can I update class libraries (DLLs) that are part of my MVC application by simply copying them over to the server (overwriting the old copies of the DLL files that are changed) and restarting IIS/web service?  Or do I need to remove and re-deploy the site again on the server?

Yes, you can do that, just overwriting the old copies of the DLL files that are changed.

As far as I know, with Publishing you have options to pre-compile all or part of your application.

You can publish to a local folder in your file system (instead of your target/host) and then copy the updated file(s) (only). If you are making "code behind" (c#/vb code) changes, this means you'll likely only need to "copy"/overwrite dlls.

If you've made "content" changes (html/razor/script/etc) changes, then you'd need to copy/overwrite those as well.

Best Regards,

Brando

Monday, February 5, 2018 9:51 AM