none
Threat Modeling Tool - Getting Started Questions

Question

• Hi,

I just started learning and using the Threat Modeling Tool and I have some questions:

1. What do the arrow directions represent? Is it the direction the data flow, or the initiator of the connection? In the examples I saw there were always arrows in both directions, which implies that the direction represents the data flow, but that doesn't make sense to me for two reasons: (1) It means that (almost) always there will be two arrows in both directions, which seems redundant. (2) Looking at the built-in HTTPS data flow properties, I see that the "Destination Authenticated" is set to true, but "Source Authenticated" is "not selected". I assume that it's because server certificate is mandatory in the TLS protocol, but client certificate is optional. If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to draw an arrow from the server to the client, so that implies the arrows represent the initiator of the connection.
    2. What is the "Isolation Level" property? What should I choose for a Windows service? For a web application running on IIS?
    3. What is the "Accepts Input From" property? If I have a web application - anyone can type in the URL and get the login page, but in order to actually use the application they will need to be authenticated. Should I choose "Any Remote User or Entity"?
    4. In my model, I use some standard communication protocols such as RDP, TLS and SSH, but there are no built-in flow for these protocols. Are there any templates that contain more standard protocols?

Thanks,
    Gabriel

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:18 AM

All replies