none
Has MS changed their strategy to C++ from C# / .Net RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, I have been hearing from my coleagues and from fellow employees that MS has put .Net and C# to back seat and have changed their strategy to C++ from C# / .Net. Also, I heard that MS will make .Net / C# / WPF etc obsolete in the near future. Is this true? Thanks in advance. Bala 
    Monday, August 13, 2012 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the clear information from the Visual Studio Roadshow in germany was:
    - Microsoft offers 3 ways to develop Metro style applications: C++ / C# & XAML / HTML & JavaScript. And there is none that is seen as obsolete or dropped out.
    - The "classic Windows" side will remain unchanged (Native and .Net application development

And my personal view: Microsoft will not drop a full development area that is in heavy use! Microsoft is aware that active developers are really important for a plattform to be successfull. So I don't think that we need to fear that we will be dropped. (And currently we still get great updates! The async stuff seems to be really cool!)

Konrad

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:25 AM
  • If you look at programming language usage statistics, you could not find any reason for this conclusion.

The recent emphasis on C++ is simply due to the fact that regardless of how desirable Microsoft makes C#, many C++ programmers are not going to switch.  Rather than ignoring this very large group of programmers (C and C++ together is still the most used programming language), Microsoft has decided to not alienate them.  A wise decision I think.

Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java (http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com)
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:36 PM