none
Operator '*' is not defined for type dbnull RRS feed

• Question

• Hii, i am tring to multiply datagridview cells value. but when i execute prograam it show " Operator '*' is not defined for type Dbnull and for type DbNull"

here are my code

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellValueChanged(sender As Object, e As DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellValueChanged

For row As Integer = 0 To DataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1
                If IsDBNull(DataGridView1.Rows(row).Cells(7).Value) Then
                    Console.WriteLine("Null detected")
                Else
                    Console.WriteLine(DataGridView1.Rows(row).Cells(7).Value)
                    Me.DataGridView1(7, e.RowIndex).Value = Me.DataGridView1(5, e.RowIndex).Value * Me.DataGridView1(6, e.RowIndex).Value
                    'Me.DataGridView1(7, e.RowIndex).Value = purchase

End If
            Next

End Sub

can anyone help to solve this problem.

Thanks & Regards

Monday, September 17, 2018 6:14 PM

All replies

• Try

For row As Integer = 0 To DataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1
                If DataGridView1.Rows(row).Cells(7).Value IsDbNull.Value Then
                    Console.WriteLine("Null detected")
                Else
                    Console.WriteLine(DataGridView1.Rows(row).Cells(7).Value)
                    Me.DataGridView1(7, e.RowIndex).Value = Me.DataGridView1(5, e.RowIndex).Value * Me.DataGridView1(6, e.RowIndex).Value
                    'Me.DataGridView1(7, e.RowIndex).Value = purchase

End If
            Next

End Sub

also you may wish to turn option strict on. You should be casting or converting your values as numeric type (IE: int32, double, etc)

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever -Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, September 17, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

modify the code:

Me.DataGridView1(7, e.RowIndex).Value =Convert.ToDouble( Me.DataGridView1(5, e.RowIndex).Value) * Convert.ToDouble(Me.DataGridView1(6, e.RowIndex).Value)

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:23 AM
  • It is probably better practice to use datatable expression for this type of calculation, at which point you can scrap this entire code

Live as if you were going to die today, learn as if you were going to live forever -Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:55 PM