none
What's difference between Green and Blue color storage accounts?

Question

• I can see two different type of storage accounts in Azure.

1. Green color - have (Blob, Files, Tables and Ques) option

2. Blue color - in virtual machine having only (Blob) option

What's difference between both. Moreover, when i am trying to create new VM i am unable to map green color storage account.

Its really confusing me.

Tariq Younas

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:00 AM

Answers

• When you create the VM, did you select "VM disk type" as SSD or HDD? If you select disk type as SSD, and your existing storage account is set to "standard" you will get the error "No storage accounts found in the selected subscription and location 'Australia East'."
    • Marked as answer by Tariq Younas Monday, August 15, 2016 10:09 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 5:23 AM

All replies

• The green storage account is used for Azure Resource Manager portal (portal.azure.com)
    The blue storage account is a classic storage account for the Azure classic portal (manage.windowsazure.com)

For new deployments its reccomended to use Azure Resource Manager.

Try create your VM in Azure Resource manager portal (portal.azure.com) and make sure you select Resource Manager for the deployment model.

Azure Resource Manager vs. classic deployment: Understand deployment models and the state of your resources https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/resource-manager-deployment-model/
    Monday, August 15, 2016 4:26 AM
  • Thank you for reply Nick.But i am creating my storage account using Resource Manager.see in below pics

Tariq Younas

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:34 AM
  • When you create the Virtual Machine (not Virtual machine classic) in portal.azure.com you can specify to use your existing resource group, then after that you can choose to use your existing storage account.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-windows-hero-tutorial/
    Monday, August 15, 2016 4:42 AM
  • No, its not populating the storage account. see the attachment...even i have already storage account.

Tariq Younas

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:55 AM
  • If you go to Resource Groups then select your existing RM_SharePoint resource group, can you see the storage account inside there? When you create your VM are you selecting use existing Resource Group RM_SharePoint?
    Monday, August 15, 2016 5:06 AM
  • Storage account already in RM_SharePoint resource group but not visible when i am trying to create new VM.

Tariq Younas

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:12 AM
  • When you create the VM, did you select "VM disk type" as SSD or HDD? If you select disk type as SSD, and your existing storage account is set to "standard" you will get the error "No storage accounts found in the selected subscription and location 'Australia East'."
    • Marked as answer by Tariq Younas Monday, August 15, 2016 10:09 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 5:23 AM
  • wonderful...you solved my issue....yes i was selecting SSD....now i made selection of HDD and its visible...thats great...thank you.

Tariq Younas

Monday, August 15, 2016 10:09 AM