Instalation problem - "Setup is updating registry settings"

Question

• I am in the process of installing Windows Developer Preview (64 bit, no dev tools), got through the information screens on Windows 7, got through the first reboot, but now the installation seems to be stuck on step "Setup is updating registry settings". It's still there, and has been sitting there for about 45 minutes. The spinning circle thing is moving, however the hard disk light has not been flashing at all - indicative of nothing happening. Things possibly of note, in Windows 7, I had some programs and files (My Documents specifically) on a different hard drive than the regular startup disk. Also, it is a custom made system; are there configurations that were supported by Win7 but not by the Developer Preview? While I can't see why these would be problems, it seemed worth mentioning. Anyway, any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edit: Quick question, is there a safe way to exit out of installation, given this situation?

Edit 2: Just shut it off and used the rollback feature to get back to my normal Win7. Still, if other people have gotten stuck here, or have thoughts, that would be cool.
    • Edited by Frogger4 Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:27 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hey there,

Can you see if there are anything in the setupact.log and setuperr.log files from C:\Windows\Panther folder that may point to a cause or anything else?

Regards,

Bobby

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Did you get the Windows Developer Preview installed or are you still experiencing a problem. 

You may have a corrupted download. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the .iso. Try re-downloading and re-burning the .iso file. Also, it may help to burn using a lower speed if the software you are using to burn the .iso supports that function.

On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use
    Windows Disc Image Burner
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:42 AM