none
Azure backup - connection string not valid for database DefaultConnection (SQLAzure) error RRS feed

• Question

• From Dennis Daume (@flagbug) via Twitter who tweets:

So I guess this @Azure backup thing isn't working as intended

The customer also added: “The error message I'm getting in the backup logs is the following: "Database connection string not valid for database DefaultConnection (SQLAzure). Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 179." even though I've configured the database connection via the Azure Portal”

Customer also noted that he is now seeing changes on the connection string, because his databases do not show up in the backup options anymore:

Tweet URL: https://twitter.com/flagbug/status/731029197896978432 and through DM

Appreciate if you may be able to assist the customer on this matter.

Thanks,
    @AzureSupport

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hey Dennis,

Can you comment on if you are using Azure SQL Database, or if you are running SQL Server in a Virtual Machine? 

Are you trying to integrate with the Azure Backup service?

Regards,

-Eli

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hey, I'm using an Azure SQL Database, and yes, I'm trying to backup my Azure App Service Web App, including the database

Cheers,
    Dennis

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:00 PM
  • Hello Dennis,

I am Ahmed, and I am the PM owner of this feature from the Azure App Service team, can you confirm that the connection string that you configured in your webapp is working when trying to connect to the dB directly?

We will also going to include more validations in the UI to make sure that the connection strings are valid before saving the backup configuration.

-Ahmed

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:04 PM
  • Hi Ahmed,

Yes, the connection string works just fine from within my app, I can connect to the database successfully and read/write data to it

Cheers,
    Dennis

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hi Dennis,

Can you please share with me you web app name? We will take a more thorough look at the error

-Ahmed

Monday, May 23, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Sure, the web app name is "Tiny-Tutors-Alexandria"
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:07 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Can you please share with me you web app name? We will take a more thorough look at the error

-Ahmed

Do you have any updated about this?
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:57 AM