none
Defender blocking Audiobook download RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to download Audiobooks from a public library using Overdrive. When I have downloaded the title and get to the part where you download the chapters, I get this error message: 
    An error occurred while attempting to download Part 1 of "the Rule of Nine....." 
    Overdrive for Windows is not able to create the local folder needed to create 'C:\Users\Karen\My Media\MP3Audiobooks\The Rule of Nine\The Rule of Nine-Part01.mp3.tmp'; please ensure you have the permissions needed to create this folder..."

I have since been able to work around the problem by turning off "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Defender. I need to know how to adjust the settings so I don't have to turn this off each time I want a book, then turn it back on afterwards. Please let me know how to do this. I think it is under "Add Exclusions", but I tried adding the destination Folder, and the File type mp3, but neither allowed the download. One choice is to add a "Process" to the exclusions, but I do not know what process it is. 
    3. Format: Audiobook - MP3 

The Library Helpdesk said I needed to check the User Account, and I determined in the Control Panel that I already am the Administrator and have the permissions to create and modify the folder.

The Defender error message says "Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\Program Files (x86)\OverDrive for Windows\MediaConsole.exe from making changes to the folder %us...."

I tried going into Defender and Allow an App through Controlled Folder Access and putting in the name of the .exe file but it did not allow the download afterwards.  I admit that I don't really know what I am doing, but I am just trying to use Overdrive to download the books, as I have done on various computers, and Defender is blocking it.

Any tips?  Please advise if this is in the wrong forum.  Thank you.

SETUP: 
    1. Operating System: Windows 10 
    2. Internet Browser: Chrome 
    3. Installed Software: Other 
    4. Portable Device:

• Edited by Kim5332 Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:23 PM