none
What do I need to know/to do to get my driver ready for Windows 8/8.1/10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

as mentoined in previous posts I'm going to change our exisiting PC card driver in a way that it also works over a USB/PC card adapter (it's a file system driver that manages the FTL on the card). Piece by piece thing getting working as expected.

Next thing that came in my mind is: The driver currently is intended for use with Windows up to Windows 7 and was build using the WDK V7.1.0 (7600.16385.1), but the new version should also work with Windows 8/8.1 (and probably Windows 10). Should my driver still work with this future versions, or is there something I have to change in my driver so that it will work? Do you know any guides for that?

Thanks for any help.

Willi K.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:03 AM

Answers

• You can use the binary built with the Windows 7 WDK.  A client of mine just submitted one of these for Windows 10 signing.

The rule in general is use the latest WDK that supports the earliest OS you need to run on, and build for the earliest OS.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by Willi K Friday, May 8, 2015 12:36 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 11:22 AM

All replies

• Your driver should work with later versions, but you will need to address signing the driver for those later versions.  In particular Windows 10 is going to require a different signing model.  I know of no guide for this.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by Willi K Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Willi K Friday, May 8, 2015 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:40 AM
  • I want to come back again to that thread since some additional questions regarding building the driver came up.

My work started on existing source from a former employee (it is a WDM driver, some of you remember). There was/is no specific code for specific O/S versions, and the only 2 binaries (in meaning of an x86 and an amd64 build) seemed to work for Windows XP up to Windows 7. Now I am not sure how to go on:

1. Do I need to rebuild the driver with WDK8 for Windows 8/8.1 (using VS2013), or can I still use the builds from the "Windows 7 WDK" and sign them as mentoined by Don Burn?
    2. Which O/S can use the same binary, or is it possible to build one binary for Windows7/8/8.1 (of course, I know that I have to build a separate one for XP using the "Windows 7 WDK").
    3. I successfully "imported" the existing project into VS2013 (Express Desktop) and also was able to build. However - the list of possible targets includes Windows7/8/8.1, now I'm not sure which of them to choose - do I need to choose "Windows 7" because it is the minimum requirement or "Windows 8.1" because it is the maximum system supported by the driver?

I hope you can help me to decide, have much thanks in before for any help.

Best regards,
    Willi K.

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:14 AM
  • You can use the binary built with the Windows 7 WDK.  A client of mine just submitted one of these for Windows 10 signing.

The rule in general is use the latest WDK that supports the earliest OS you need to run on, and build for the earliest OS.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by Willi K Friday, May 8, 2015 12:36 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 11:22 AM
  • Have much thanks and a nice weekend, Don Burn.

Willi K.

Friday, May 8, 2015 12:36 PM