none
How to check for Empty when extracting SdtBlock RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following code which works perfect if the document contains the content control which has tag name same as the variable value.

mainPart.Document.Body.Descendants<sdtblock>().Where(r => r.SdtProperties.GetFirstChild<tag>().Val == myVar).Single();</tag></sdtblock>

But this line throws a Sequence is Empty exception if the document does not contain any content control which has the Tag/Title of the variable value.

Can you please tell me how to build some resiliency in the code?

MSDNStudent Knows not much!

• Edited by MSDN Student Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:27 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use Try Catch statement to prevent getting a exception if the document doesn't contain any Content Controls or there is a content control whose tag name matches what you specify, see:

SdtBlock block = null;
                try
                {
                    block = body.Descendants<SdtBlock>().Where(r => r.SdtProperties.GetFirstChild<Tag>().Val == var).First();
                }
                catch
                {
                }
                if (block != null)
                {
                    block.SdtProperties.GetFirstChild<Tag>().Val = "MyCustomTag";
                }

i hope this helps.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:48 AM
  • I am currently using FirstOrDefault method. this is causing the error to stop

Friday, February 17, 2012 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use Try Catch statement to prevent getting a exception if the document doesn't contain any Content Controls or there is a content control whose tag name matches what you specify, see:

SdtBlock block = null;
                try
                {
                    block = body.Descendants<SdtBlock>().Where(r => r.SdtProperties.GetFirstChild<Tag>().Val == var).First();
                }
                catch
                {
                }
                if (block != null)
                {
                    block.SdtProperties.GetFirstChild<Tag>().Val = "MyCustomTag";
                }

i hope this helps.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:48 AM
  • I am currently using FirstOrDefault method. this is causing the error to stop

Friday, February 17, 2012 11:18 AM