Conversion from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2005 CE RRS feed

• Question

• I Have  developed a windows application with an SQL server 2005 database.

Now I want to publish that application BUT I want to make that database an SQL CE one.

In other words, I want to make the users able to download the application with the database without having to download SQL EXPRESS from the net or so....But instead have the Database embedded with the instllation package together with the SQL CE.

1. What is the best way i can transfere the data (Tables and their data) from ordinary SQL server 2005 .mdf files to some place where it can work with SQL CE ?

2. How to embedd the data base and the SQL CE within the installtion package ?

Saturday, September 8, 2007 9:43 AM

Answers

• 1: For now, the easiest option is some of the tools from www.primeworks-mobile.com

2: Include the SQL CE DLL file and the SQL CE database file with your application /installation package

(by convention the file extension is .sdf) as content files. (Remember not to overwrite if it already exists, if required).

For deployment information see this: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/bb219480.aspx (In particular tutorial 1)

Saturday, September 8, 2007 12:32 PM