Generating Web API Help for multiple assemblies RRS feed

• Question

• User-638259267 posted

I read this article and I am using Xml Comments for my Web API Help Pages: http://www.asp.net/web-api/overview/getting-started-with-aspnet-web-api/creating-api-help-pages

However, based on the article, by making a change in my HelpPageConfig.cs file, I can only add the path to a single XmlComments file for a single assembly.  However, I would like to display the XmlComments for multiple assemblies since I am using an OWIN/Katana container and have numerous Web API service assemblies contained in the same host.

Therefore, is there a way to accomplish this using this line in the HelpPageConfig.cs file?

config.SetDocumentationProvider(new XmlDocumentationProvider(GetXmlCommentsFilePath()));

Please advise.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:45 AM

Answers

• User36583972 posted

Hi vs2010junkie

As far as I know, you can try to load XmlComments from different files through the following two methods.

1: You can modify the XmlDocumentationProvider constructor to let it supports multiple files.

XmlDocumentationProvider:

/// <summary>
            /// Initializes a new instance of the <see cref="XmlDocumentationProvider"/> class.
            /// </summary>
            /// <param name="documentPath">The physical path to XML document.</param>
            public XmlDocumentationProvider(string xmlDocFilesPath)
            {
                //if (documentPath == null)
                //{
                //    throw new ArgumentNullException("documentPath");
                //}
                //XPathDocument xpath = new XPathDocument(documentPath);
                //_documentNavigator = xpath.CreateNavigator();

XDocument finalDoc = null;
                foreach (string file in Directory.GetFiles(xmlDocFilesPath, "*.xml"))
                {
                    if (finalDoc == null)
                    {
                        finalDoc = XDocument.Load(File.OpenRead(file));
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        XDocument xdocAdditional = XDocument.Load(File.OpenRead(file));
                        finalDoc.Root.XPathSelectElement("/doc/members")
                                     .Add(xdocAdditional.Root.XPathSelectElement("/doc/members").Elements());
                    }
                }
                // Supply the navigator that rest of the XmlDocumentationProvider code looks for
                _documentNavigator = finalDoc.CreateNavigator();

}

HelpPageConfig:

config.SetDocumentationProvider(new XmlDocumentationProvider (HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/")));

2: You can load multiple files at the same time.

HelpPageConfig:

config.SetDocumentationProvider(new XmlDocumentationProvider(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/App_Data1/XmlDocument1.xml")));
     config.SetDocumentationProvider(new XmlDocumentationProvider(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~/App_Data2/XmlDocument2.xml")));

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2016 4:27 AM