Unable to access an Azure database from Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• User-1093850845 posted

I have an Azure database that I am trying to update through Visual Studio. I am an administrator on the portal. When I am at the Azure database dashboard and select open in Visual Studio it prompts me for the password of a previous developer/Administrator who is no longer on the project. I do not have the last administrator's password. It is possible that I would be able to access the old administrator's account and change the password so I can login as them from what I understand but I'm not sure. I do have the MSDN account but can only login with my user ID and PW. I do have the previous Administrators email and user ID for the MSDN account but don't have that password as well. When Visual Studio tries to open the previous Admin's user ID in defaulted in the login ID dialog.  When I try to enter my id and password I receive a error dialog with the following message:

Cannot connect to ngl7ew5ap.datanbase.windows.net

Additional information
    Login failed for user: 'myusername'.
    This session has been assigned a tracing ID of 'd3f30e28-8c4b-bc06-4facc83c1d87. Provide this tracing ID to customer
    support when you need assistance. (Microsoft SQL server, Error:18456)
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:21 PM

Answers

• User-1093850845 posted

First of all, my problem was I was using the old Azure portal. Now when I went to server and selected reset password, changed the password, updated the password I was able to login to that database and server in visual studio. Now, because the database server was being used by a running application once that happened the application could not access the database. Doing a search for connection strings in the source code I found the original password, reset it back in Azure and everything now is good to go.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 3:34 PM

All replies

• User-646145796 posted

Hi,

If open Azure database via Visual studio button from Azure portal does not work, we could try to use Azure database connection string to connect SQL database from VS Server Explorer. Please try follow this article: http://www.sqlshack.com/working-with-visual-studio-and-sql-azure-databases/, hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Jambor 

Friday, January 1, 2016 2:15 AM
  • User-1093850845 posted

First of all, my problem was I was using the old Azure portal. Now when I went to server and selected reset password, changed the password, updated the password I was able to login to that database and server in visual studio. Now, because the database server was being used by a running application once that happened the application could not access the database. Doing a search for connection strings in the source code I found the original password, reset it back in Azure and everything now is good to go.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 3:34 PM
  • User-646145796 posted

Hi,

I am glad that you issue has been fixed, thanks for your posting.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:27 AM