Windows 8.1 App Execution Process

Question

• I want to know in brief the exact procedure for execution of .appx (Metro Style) Apps (i.e., when the app executes, how the different layers of the metro app architecture stack interact with each other) for the three code behinds that are possible, i.e., for C++, C# and JavaScript code behinds respectively for Windows 8.1 (Windows Store Apps and Windows Phone Store Apps).

Provide me with some relevant links on this if possible.

Monday, August 11, 2014 3:54 PM

Answers

• Very short story: it's COM. For more details take a look at the build conference videos that I linked for you the last time you. I'm not aware of any more in depth discussions of how this works.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:58 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Take a look at the build conference videos that I linked for you the last time you asked this. I'm not aware of any more in depth discussions of how this works.

Monday, August 11, 2014 4:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

The previous question that I asked was about the architecture stack, the position of WinRT and Win32 in the stack etc. For that, now I have a good amount of clarity but this question is focused on the app execution, i.e., when the app executes how the layers interact with each other. Like when the app calls a WinRT API then how that transforms into a Win32 API call and subsequent call to the kernel and the interaction with the hardware.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Very short story: it's COM. For more details take a look at the build conference videos that I linked for you the last time you. I'm not aware of any more in depth discussions of how this works.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:58 AM
    Owner