none
Excel 2010 - Addin Not showing up even though its in the Active list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an Excel Addin for Office 2010 using VS 2010 and VSTO 4.0.

When I run my code on a development machine, i am able to see the Addin in the Excel. So i build a installer out of it and try to install it on a test machine which has Windows 7 and Office 2010. I am able to install the Addin properly and when i launch excel, i dont see the Addin.

So i go to excel options and i see that the Addin is there in the Active Addins list. I tried manually installing Office 2010n PIA's and also manually uninstalled VSTO 2010 and installed it again but still the Addin is not seen.

Below is the link to the screenshot of whats happening. I have removed my Company name from the Addin name.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/982e0b3cee.jpg

I checked the registry and the load behavior still shows 3. I tried VSTO_LOGALERTS = 1 and VSTO_SUPRESSDISPLAYALERTS = 0, but i dont see any message. I have even put some messages in my ThisAddin_Startup method and everything went fine. There is no exceptions in the startup.

Can someone please let me know what can be done to make it appear.

Thanks,

Shail

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• It was because of the VS 2010 Tools for Office runtime being installed.

Once i uninstalled it, it was working fine.

• Marked as answer by Shailendra_G Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Then I suppose the issue relates to the UI elements the add-in should show. Try creating a simple add-in showing something simple, say a command Bar and a Ribbon and see if it works.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hi Shail

Would my guess that the way your add-in "doesn't show up" is because the Ribbon isn't appearing?

At first I wasn't going to ask this because I have difficulty imagining what in the Ribbon could "go bad" between testing on your development machine and on the end-user machine, but you never know... If it is because you can't see Ribbon controls, the way to check whether it's a problem in the Ribbon would be to turn on File/Options/Advanced, category General, "Show Add-in user interface errors". If that's not activated any problems in the Ribbon will fail silently and it simply won't display.

If that doesn't turn up anything, could you describe what your add-in does during Startup (besides showing your trouble-shooting messages)? Do you have a CTP in your add-in that you could instantiate during start up, to see if that displays with no problems?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

After you have suggested the option to Show Add-in interface errors, i am seeing an error message

"the call to getcustomui() for ribbonid microsoft.excel.workbook failed".

After further digging i found that the following line is giving me an error.

if (ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ProxySettingsDisplay"].ToUpper() == "YES")

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ProxySettingsDisplay"] is returning null on the test machine whereas it returns the value on my development machine.

Please let me know if there is any other alternative to this?

Thanks,

Shail

Friday, July 8, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi Shail

Good to at least have tracked down what's causing the error. I'm afraid I don't know WHY this may be causing it, but someone else will - it may take a couple of days, though...

a quick search on ConfigurationManager and ProxySettingsDisplay (and variations thereof) turns up that this may have something to do with the settings that hook up the machine to the Internet or other networks. I'm not sure why that would be in your application... In what file or part of your code is this turning up? How about if you comment it out (assuming your solution isn't making such settings)?

Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

If i comment it out, i am able to see the Addin in Excel. So that confirms that it is the problem.

But the key "ProxySettingsDisplay" has nothing to do with this. It basically is not able to read any keys that are set in the config file.

No i will have to look for the solution.

Thanks,

Shail

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi Shail

<<But the key "ProxySettingsDisplay" has nothing to do with this. It basically is not able to read any keys that are set in the config file.

No i will have to look for the solution.>>

If you can't hit on the solution yourself, I suggest posting a new message with this as the subject. That will help it come to the attention of people who have a better understanding of this area than I :-)

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Thanks Cindy. As per your suggestion,  I have posted my question.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/85ef5985-3e0a-4634-8585-1012c079ac35

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:57 PM
  • It was because of the VS 2010 Tools for Office runtime being installed.

Once i uninstalled it, it was working fine.

• Marked as answer by Shailendra_G Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:48 PM