none
WMIC not working on Windows Embedded Standard 6.1.7601

Question

• I am trying to run this command 'wmic csproduct get uuid' and 'wmic bios get serialnumber' in Windows Embedded Standard. Both these commands fail. These commands are working fine on Windows 7 and return uuid and serial number respectively. Could someone explain this behaviour? I see that wmi service is running fine on the machine. Are there any workarounds to get uuid and bios serial number?

• Edited by Sudharsan62 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:31 AM

All replies

• Is this a full WES7 image or is this a custom image with just a few packages selected?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:02 PM
  • It is a custom image. I am not sure of the packages installed. 

If say, the appropriate packages are not installed, are there any workarounds for this?

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:02 AM
  • Run following command:

dism /online /Get-Packages | find /i "wmi

If the feature "Windows Mnagament Instrumentaion (WMI)" is part of the image, the command above will give you an output like this:

Package Identity : WinEmb-SystemManagement-WMI
    If it is missing, you need to ask your PCs vendor if he can provide WMI package for you.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi Willi

Thanks for your reply. I will try to check this.

Meanwhile, I found wmic installed on that system. But the problem was in accessing the csproduct component to get the uuid. Any idea on how to install the csproduct component alone?

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

you can download the ICE iso from microsoft site and install , next steps is search the package into the folder installed.

I don't know if you can find the required package directly from download ISO.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Did you actually build the OS image? Or is this an OS image that came with the board?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:00 PM