none
Next question (Chat program) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys!

Here is my next question:

How can I send a message to another computer, without to know his IP? I thought to save the IP of the users computer in a .txt and upload this anywhere. But the problem is, that the other user don't know the adress of thisone. So how can I fix this?

I found a few options in NetworkServer. but I don't understand them realy good... :(

Greetings Timo

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:14 PM

Answers

• Yes, on the server machine you will need some php and server software IIS, WAMP etc probably that takes request from a client and creates a web response that can be read back.

Not trivial - see here for previous discussion on it.

• Marked as answer by Timo Sö Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:48 PM

All replies

• To send a message to another computer you have to know its IP address - this is its address - no other way.  NameServers etc can convert an address like www.Microsoft.com to an IP address, but they still ultimately use and IP address to send anything to anything.

Typically you set up a server on your computer, and then tell people your IP address to connect their client software to your server.  If you use a server somewhere else you must tell people this IP address or even code it into your program.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hm ok. Thanks.

Would it be possible to program a program which is like a server, and to connect everyone to this one?

So we can all chat about this one server. Is this possible?

Greetings Timo

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Yes, on the server machine you will need some php and server software IIS, WAMP etc probably that takes request from a client and creates a web response that can be read back.

Not trivial - see here for previous discussion on it.

• Marked as answer by Timo Sö Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Ah thanks very much!

Greetings Timo

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:26 PM