none
OLEDB RRS feed

• Question

• i have read that OLEDB is fastest database access in visual studio. can someone give me nice basic introduction to OLEDB about how to connect , update , retrieve the data's.

I need to add data entered in a form by user into database and retrieve & display in another form.

thanks

• Moved by Vicky SongMicrosoft employee Friday, March 18, 2011 2:45 AM (From:Visual Studio Database Development Tools (Formerly "Database Edition Forum"))
    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is not really the foum that will be able to help you with this question in a structured way, I suggest moving the question to a more appropriate forum.

To give you my personal view:

There are only a couple of options and none involve OLE-DB :) First key question is what is the platform and programming environment. If you are building native code in C or C++ the answer is ODBC for many different reasons, first it is actually lower overhead, faster and the native API going forward. If you are building in .NET (C#, VB.NET etc.) and you are accessing SQL Server System.Data.SqlClient is the answer, if you are accessing other sources I would go with System.Data.OdbcClient for two reasons: there are more ODBC drivers then OLEDB providers, and P/Invoke is faster then COM interop in .NET. If you are building Java, use the SQL Server JDBC 3 provider, not the ODBC bridge.

Hope that helps,

GertD @ www.DBProj.com
    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:45 AM
  • I am developing in .NET(C#) , can i use mysql?

can you give a small tutor on how to connect to database, store and more from the windows form?

Friday, March 18, 2011 10:08 AM
  • See if the following helps:

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/dotnet/index.html

The following may help as well (although the tutorial uses VB.NET):

http://www.vbmysql.com/articles/vbnet-mysql-tutorials/the-vbnet-mysql-tutorial-part-3

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:42 PM