none
SQL 2012 Express and 2005 Express on the same server

Question

• I have SQL 2012 Express installed on a Windows 2016 Server and everything works fine except for one very old program. I know that program will work with SQL 2005 Express, however I'm concerned if I install SQL 2005 Express as a second "instance" on the same server with 2012 Express, it might over write some newer 2012 files with older 2005 files.

I would like to have both SQL 2012 Express and 2005 Express running on the same server without impacting my already working 2012 version. Can this be done?

Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:31 PM

All replies

• If that program works with SQL 2005 Express, it should work with SQL 2012 Express with no problems. Have you tried that program with SQL 2012 Express? 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

That's more an academical question; SQL Server 2005 is not supported on Windows Server 2016 and I doubt you can install it at all.

See Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2005

Beside this, you can run different versions of SQL Server on one machine without any issues, and the installation order also doesn't matter; no need to worry that a newer assembly version will be overwritten by older version. All SQL Server version instances are independent of any other version.

See Work with Multiple Versions and Instances of SQL Server

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Hi compplus,

If your program is not restricted to use local SQL Server instance only, you could simply create a virtual machine on your server to work around the compatibility issue.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:18 AM
  • however I'm concerned if I install SQL 2005 Express as a second "instance" on the same server with 2012 Express, it might over write some newer 2012 files with older 2005 files.

NO it will not, but like Olaf said I also doubt you can install it, if you want to give it a try go ahead. 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, February 24, 2017 1:56 PM
  • I get an SSL connection error with SQL 2012 Express. The software is from 2007, Oracle Primavera. It's using Java.

It installed ok on a Windows 2003 R2 server with SQL 2005 Express. I'm trying to replace the 2003 machine with a 2016 server. All my other SQL apps made the move successfully except for Primavera.

It was suggested there are security features in SQL 2012 that SQL 2005 doesn't have and that's the source of my problem.

Thanks.

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:19 PM
  • I get an SSL connection error with SQL 2012 Express. The software is from 2007, Oracle Primavera. It's using Java.

It installed ok on a Windows 2003 R2 server with SQL 2005 Express. I'm trying to replace the 2003 machine with a 2016 server. All my other SQL apps made the move successfully except for Primavera.

It was suggested there are security features in SQL 2012 that SQL 2005 doesn't have and that's the source of my problem.

Thanks.

Please raise a separate thread for this question, it is different from what you have asked in beginning

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:21 PM
  • except for Primavera.

Then contact the support of software vendor of the software "Primavera", may they know a setting or have an update of the software supporting newer SQL Server versions-

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:30 PM