Windows Store 8.1 activation failed. The app does not support the contract specified or is not installed

Question

• Hi All
    I have installed VS Express 2013 for Windows and created an Universal Apps. However, when I try running the app using the simulator I get the error below.
    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    ---------------------------
    Unable to activate Windows Store app '[Some GUID]!App'. The activation request failed with error 'This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed'.

It is really affecting my progress and not sure what could be the error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pankaj

pankaj

Sunday, July 6, 2014 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi pankaj,

Hardly to tell the reason by the information you provided. Unable to activate Windows Store app '[Some GUID]!App'. Seems the app is not successfully installed.

I think I may need you following test result to see why:

1, Can your app works fine with Debug in "Local Machine" option?

2, Can other apps works fine with simulator? You can create a new blank one to test.

3, Is your system upgrade from Win7 or it is a win8 installed originally?

4, Have you tried to repair the Visual Studio?

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Thanks For the Reply

1. Can your app works fine with Debug in "Local Machine" option?

[Pankaj] It gives me the same error.

2, Can other apps works fine with simulator? You can create a new blank one to test.

[Pankaj] This is the first app I created and trying to run. File -> New Project-> and Universal Apps.

3, Is your system upgrade from Win7 or it is a win8 installed originally?

[Pankaj] My system is an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

4, Have you tried to repair the Visual Studio?

[Pankaj] I have repaired the Visual Studio 2013. It is upgrade to VS 2013 Express Update2

Please let me know if you require anything else.

Thanks

Pankaj

pankaj

• Edited by GPankaj Monday, July 7, 2014 11:15 AM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 11:13 AM
  • Hi Pankaj,

I think I need your logs to see some details.

Can you navigate to your %temp% folder and filter the log file by date and then find the Visual Studio Express installation logs out? Or you can use this tool: http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather a vslogs.cab file which is also located under your %temp% folder.

With that log I'm able to see whether the installation is corrupt or not and also I'll be able to know what is the error detail.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:36 AM