SQL 2008 Mirroring info very thin - How to mirror RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out what options I have for mirroring SQL 2008 between two workgroup servers. All documentation points to Domain based servers using Windows Authentication; however I am trying to test a setup of a Workgroup server as the principal with a Domain server as a mirror. Eventually the workgroup server will be deployed to a data centre and will then need to mirror to another Workgroup server (I am just fooling around learning mirroring at the moment)

In my opinion data centre based web servers are mostly not in a domain and are workgroup servers, however what authentication method should you use, i.e. certificate only, windows?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Raldo,

When going between untrusted domains or in this case areas with no active directory infrastructure certificates are the best practice. As for the web servers being not in a domain comment, it would be prudent in many ways for them to be part of a domain, especially utilizing fundamentals such as network load balancing (NLB) clusters.

SQL SERVER 2008 DATABASE MIRRORING OVERVIEW

Setting Up Database Mirroring (2008)

Above is a link to the msdn database mirroring overview article.

Hope this helps,
    -h
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thanks

Are you saying that any deployment where you need mirroring, failover clustering etc, even if just 2 or 3 servers sitting in a DC they should ideally be in a domain? If so, it implies Primary and Backup domain controllers, DNS services etc and all other things to be configured just for those 2 or 3 servers?

Thanks
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hi

I think before you setup the database mirroring between the workgroup server, you need to read the following article first.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190941.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189852.aspx

Regards
    Mark
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:21 AM