none
File Directory Compliance Question for VB.net RRS feed

• Question

• Creating a program that will store Word and PDF documents on a Windows Server.  Where should the folder for these files reside?

\program files\companyname\productname\docfolder?

\programdata\companyname\productname\docfolder?

Or create my own folder structure?  Or something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

ISV using VB.net and SQL Server

Thursday, June 7, 2018 4:17 PM

Answers

• Is the intent for your program to run on the server?  Or is it intended to be run on client computers that will access the server over the network?

If it is the former you should likely use "\programdata\companyname\productname\docfolder".

If it is the latter you should create a shared folder within your own folder structure.

Note that the shared folder would need read/write permission for each user who would access the directory and you would not have control over the file integrity (multiple users could upload different files using the same file name).

Depending on your intent, you may wish to create a more robust document management system, which could get fairly complex.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff07,

Based on your description, I am sure what is your issue, could you please describe it in detailed, do you store related documents to a Windows Server via FTP or others? does the folder exist in your Windows Server? or you want to create a new folder?

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Is the intent for your program to run on the server?  Or is it intended to be run on client computers that will access the server over the network?

If it is the former you should likely use "\programdata\companyname\productname\docfolder".

If it is the latter you should create a shared folder within your own folder structure.

Note that the shared folder would need read/write permission for each user who would access the directory and you would not have control over the file integrity (multiple users could upload different files using the same file name).

Depending on your intent, you may wish to create a more robust document management system, which could get fairly complex.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by Jeff07 Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Exactly what I was looking for.  My situation is the latter.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

ISV using VB.net and SQL Server

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:42 PM