none
What does Microsoft Visual Studio get access to?

Question

• I am sorry in advance if this post is located in the wrong forum. I am quite young and am not sure where this post is supposed to go.

Anyway, as the title states, I am in need of assistance. Does Microsoft Visual Studio get access to a lot of files in your hard drive? And if so, is it safe?

Thank you in advance. :D

• Moved by Just Karl Monday, November 28, 2016 5:13 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Visual Studio is a "classic" Windows application, also known as "desktop" application - by contrast to isolated phone-like or UWP applications.

This type of programs has unlimited access to all files in the user's profile and everything else that the user who runs the VS can read or write.

Besides of this, VS has extra capabilities: It can create new executable files. It contains a debugger that, besides of debugging your own programs, can attach to many other processes in the system. It can download and run add-ons that come from Internet.

So - you decide whether this is safe for you. VS is a heavy, powerful professional instrument. Such things can certainly be unsafe in wrong hands, like a chainsaw, a welding machine and so on. It is not a toy.

Good luck,

-- pa

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, November 28, 2016 5:11 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:24 PM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Visual Studio General Questions forum on MSDN.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, November 28, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Does your issue is solved? If not, please update your current questions, it helps us to continue researching it.

Like pa said, usually the VS can access lots of files on your computer per the user account that you run the VS, since it can help you to use and develop the programs. For your personal usage and development, it should be safe.

If your issue is solved through pa's solution or by yourself, could you please share it and mark it as answer, that will help other community members who have the same or similar question to easier search this helpful solution, thank your for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:42 AM