none
Determine the Item that was right-clicked in the item context menu for Ribbon command event RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to determine which Item was right-clicked on the context menu in the case of a re-purposed idMso command in Outlook 2010? E.g. a user right-clicks on a MailItem and selects Reply. This fires a repurposed onAction handler for the idMso="Reply" command. The handler then needs to identify the Item that was right-clicked (i.e. the item that is being replied to).

Currently I use the following Ribbon XML:

<commands>
        <command idMso="Reply" onAction="myReply" />
       </commands>

And the corresponding onAction handler:

public void myReply(Office.IRibbonControl control, ref bool cancelDefault)
    {
        if (control.Context is Outlook.Explorer)
        {
             Outlook.Explorer explorer = control.Context as Outlook.Explorer;
             HandleReplyEvent(explorer.Selection[1]);
        }

cancelDefault = false;
    }

The problem is that when the command is raised from the context menu, control.Context is still an Explorer object. BUT, explorer.Selection[1] is not necessarily the item that was right clicked (since right-clicking an item in Outlook 2010 does not select it).

Note that this is not the case of adding a new context menu command but re-purposing an existing command that is then selected through an item context menu. (In the case of adding a context menu command, the items that were right clicked are explicitly passed in the control.Context as an Outlook.Selection).

Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Hamish,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

That just like you mentioned. Outlook PIA doesn't provide any ways to handle such kind of issue. I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they are able to solve it. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 5, 2012 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Hamish,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

That just like you mentioned. Outlook PIA doesn't provide any ways to handle such kind of issue. I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they are able to solve it. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 5, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Thanks for the response, Tom.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 9:14 AM