Problems After Critical Update

Question

• So, after the critical update, I lost all my apps. When I turn on my computer, it takes me to the app screen and it says "There are no apps." I clicked around on the page for a bit, went to go search for some, but nothing. I ended up hitting the windows key + D to see if that would bring up the desktop, and it did. Well, much to my surprise all installed programs minus web browsers don't know how to work via shortcuts, unless I go and manually select it from my programs file. I am unable to change any kind of setting on the computer like audio, internet, and the likes. When I attempt to uninstall or reinstall a program the program crashes. I did a system restore, but it didn't fix anything. Is there a way to "repair" this without having to reformat?
    Monday, October 31, 2011 12:53 AM

Answers

• ZestyTS,

Since you able to go to Desktop using Windows + D keys, you can access desktop Control Panel.  Open Windows Explorer from your taskbar, Click on Computer on left side and click on Open Control Panel in ribbon menu.

In the Control Panel, change View by to Large icons.  Double click on Recovery and you see two options.  Refresh or Reset.  Click on Get Started under Refresh.  You might need media that you used to install Windows Developer Preview.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:09 PM
    Answerer
  • ZestyTS,

Boot into installation of Windows Developer Preview media, On the first screen, press next. Click on Repair your computer on lower left side of screen. Click on Troubleshoot, and then click on Refresh your PC. Follow the on screen guide.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:16 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve not being able to see your apps.
    Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you can see the Metro Apps.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Have you tried using the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" option to attempt repairs to the OS?  If you need help finding it:

1. Navigate to Start > Control Panel
    2. Select the General section on the left column
    3. Click the "Get started" button under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and follow the help wizard

Please be aware that doing this will keep your files, personalization settings and your apps downloaded from the Windows Store.  All other programs will be removed and your PC settings will be restored back to default.

Hopefully this helps you get things back to normal. Keep us updated on your progress.    ^_^

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Alright, so actually that was what I was originally going to do, but I completely forgot that I'm unable to do that at all. Like when I mean my apps are gone, I meant anything that has to do with the start button. The only hotkey that I know of that works is the Windows D key for the desktop. Is there anyway else for me to figure out how to get to the control panel? I inserted a picture that shows what I see when I start up my computer, or when I click on the start button.

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:58 AM
  • ZestyTS,

Since you able to go to Desktop using Windows + D keys, you can access desktop Control Panel.  Open Windows Explorer from your taskbar, Click on Computer on left side and click on Open Control Panel in ribbon menu.

In the Control Panel, change View by to Large icons.  Double click on Recovery and you see two options.  Refresh or Reset.  Click on Get Started under Refresh.  You might need media that you used to install Windows Developer Preview.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Upon clicking Get Started under Refresh or Reset they both tell me that the program is disabled. As I stated earlier, I have used Refresh before, so I have no idea why it's disabled.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:05 PM
  • ZestyTS,

Boot into installation of Windows Developer Preview media, On the first screen, press next. Click on Repair your computer on lower left side of screen. Click on Troubleshoot, and then click on Refresh your PC. Follow the on screen guide.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Eric,

The method you told me ended up being awkward because it told me there was nothing to refresh. I ended up forcing the computer to open up the advanced options before booting into windows via holding F8. I got the computer to refresh, and I must say, it fixed everything, just rather annoying that I have to reinstall everything again, but it's much better than a reformat. I'd like to thank everyone for all the hardwork, it means a lot, thanks!

-ZestyTS

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:15 PM