locked
.NET Version problems RRS feed

  • Question

  • Call me a dreamer but I thought the idea behind .NET was to get away from the problems of DLL hell? Just trying to do something simple like find the version installed is a nightmare. See here for what I mean: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3487265/powershell-script-to-return-versions-of-net-framework-on-a-machine/3495491#3495491

    Anyway, I have an app I wrote that was compiled against .NET 4.6.1. Since then there have been inevitable .NET updates and now the application fails to work and I don't know why. It crashes part way through and Windows being Windows, don't tell me a great deal about why. I tried using WinDbg but that is really hard work unless you know what you're doing. All that Windows tells me when it crashes is 

    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: RIProcessor.exe
      Application Version: 1.2018.11.5
      Application Timestamp: f8837354
      Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24308
      Fault Module Timestamp: 5be85d6b
      Exception Code: e0434352
      Exception Offset: 0000c54f
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

    The problem with WinDbg is that I cannot attach to the  process because it crashes before I get chance to connect to it. If I start the process it loads it with the commandline parameters but then I don't know what to do. Lots of sites suggest loading sos or clr or mscorwks but nothing seems to do anything. I just want to find out what is going on at the point the application crashes. It logs stuff out to text file about its running status and it is getting part way through but then crashes. I can't debug in Visual Studio because it works on the dev machine, just not on the live machine.

    So what do I do? How can I find out why the application crashes? It did work in December 18 but now while testing in January 19 it just doesn't work

    Friday, January 18, 2019 11:06 AM

Answers

  • This was resolved in the end. It ended up not being a problem with the .NET versions but a deeper issue with the way exceptions bubble up from the linked applications that I was integrating with. I was linking to Sage 300 and for certain things, it requires special handling of some exceptions and I had missed one such exception handler. For some reason, this was an issue on the clients server and not on my local machine. Probably different memory management in my Windows 10 Pro compared to their Windows 2008 R2.
    • Marked as answer by MrSnert Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:29 AM

All replies

  • Have you tried to debug your code on Visual Studio ?
    Friday, January 18, 2019 11:28 AM
  • As I said in the post. The problem does not occur on my development machine. The live server does not have Visual Studio installed and I cannot install it on there as it is a live production server. It only occurs when the app runs on the live system and it didn't happen when they ran it last November and December when I installed it. Come January and now it doesn't work, suggesting something has changed. I can't see anything that has changed.
    Friday, January 18, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi lsavidge,

    Thank you for posting here.

    For your question, I want to confirm some questions with you.

    1. According to your description, the application works well on development machine. What is the error message when you run the app in live server?

    2. What is the difference of system between development machine and live server? Please provide the details about the .net framework version of two machines.

    3. The code works well on November and December in your live server. What does the change of system with .net framework have you do recently? 

    Best Regards,

    Wendy


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Monday, January 21, 2019 6:52 AM
  • This was resolved in the end. It ended up not being a problem with the .NET versions but a deeper issue with the way exceptions bubble up from the linked applications that I was integrating with. I was linking to Sage 300 and for certain things, it requires special handling of some exceptions and I had missed one such exception handler. For some reason, this was an issue on the clients server and not on my local machine. Probably different memory management in my Windows 10 Pro compared to their Windows 2008 R2.
    • Marked as answer by MrSnert Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:29 AM