none
Kinect Turning Off and On After Updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This past Monday we had two Kinects stop working, after they seemed to have a driver/firmware automatic update upon getting connected to our laptops.  We have been developing for months with no problems, so I don't think it is related to the hardware of the laptops, power settings, etc.  We had been running the latest version of the SDK, but I also re-installed it on both laptops to no change.

On one laptop, the Kinect works, but turns on and off every 20 seconds or so if the camera is in use.  If I run the Kinect Configuration Verifier through the SDK, it will continually fail on the color/depth check and the Kinect will repeatedly turn on and off (making the connect/disconnect noise through Windows).

On the other laptop, we can get no video feed from it via the Kinect Studio at all.

If someone from Microsoft could weigh in on this issue, it would be really great.  This is a serious problem and is urgent for us because the issue is completely stopping our development.

Regards,

Joe

Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:21 PM

All replies

• If the driver updated, did you not update your SDK to RTM? The Driver and Runtime is the version from October 22 release data.

Please uninstall all previous Kinect related components from the system, disconnect the sensor and reboot. Confirm no other Kinect components are installed and install the official final release of the SDK.  This will match the same version of the driver/runtime available from Windows Update.

Did you make any modifications to the sensor or using Remote Desktop? Have you adjusted the power settings and set it for high performance. (PCI Express > Link State Power Management)

The behavior you are seeing is by design in the event we are not getting data from the sensor or your application is continuously falling behind. We actively are monitoring the data streams and ensuring the device and runtime are running at the designed frame rates.

What are the spec's of the system? Do you have a DXDiag? Have you tried on other systems?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the response.  I did check the power settings (both in general and PCI Express) but they were both set to the right values.  I also re-installed the SDK, but that didn't help either.

I don't remember making any kind of particular changes to the machine or the Kinect...I was using it Sunday at home, brought it into the office the next day, and then it stopped working...

We wound up wiping the machine completely and re-installing everything.  So far everything is working like normal, but the problem occurred after I began moving the Kinect around a lot (to other offices, on the trip home, etc).  At first I thought I may have damaged the actual hardware, but when it began happening to a second Kinect that was not moved around, I wasn't so sure.

Next week I will have to move the Kinect around a lot again (recording demos in various locations), so I'm going to keep my eye on things, and if it happens again I'll post more information (like the system spec and DXDiag).

Thanks again,

Joe

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Unfortunately this problem came right back.  After re-installing Windows and all other relevant software (and the Kinect SDK), everything was working fine in my office.  I packed everything up and moved it to a larger space in order to do a demo, and everything initially worked.  I then started my screen capture software and connected my bluetooth headset, and started the app -- the Kinect then began to turn on/off.

I am a little suspicious that it has something to do with pairing a bluetooth device (since this is the exact repro steps both times the Kinect stopped working).  But shutting off bluetooth and restarting the computer does not fix it.

Computer specs: Alienware i7-4700MQ CPU, 2.4GHz, 16 GB ram, Windows 8 64-bit OS.

DX Diag: I don't see an attach button and the file is too big to paste in a reply.  If you think seeing it would help, could you please email me at jlavoine@cra.com and I can respond and attach the dx diag file then.

Have I tried it on other systems: Yes.  When the problem originally manifested I disconnected my Kinect and then connected a coworker's.  After initially working, the second Kinect then started to turn on and off.  Upon disconnecting that second unit and reconnecting it to his personal laptop, it no longer worked on his laptop either.  I also installed the SDK and connected my Kinect to a 3rd coworker's machine and it seemed to work (we did not pair bluetooth with it, however).

I don't think it is a computer hardware issue because I have been developing for months with no issues.  Something is going on all of a sudden though, where I'm clearly doing something to somehow affect the Kinect -- I don't know if it's the hardware (Kinect) or software (something on my laptop).

Any help would be appreciated...I have been stuck for over a week now on this issue.

• Edited by Joe Lavoine Monday, November 17, 2014 3:18 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

I have solved the mystery!

After connecting my bluetooth headset, I would open up the recording devices manager and disable the Kinect's microphone so it didn't pick up any other sounds (I just wanted the microphone on the headset to work).

However, doing this seems to cause the problem I have already detailed (Kinect turning on/off).  So I suspect this is not actually the Kinect's microphone, but instead something else far more important.

So I guess I have two followup questions:

• In the recording devices panel, the thing I was disabling was the Microphone Array Xbox NUI Sensor.  So, it clearly makes sense to me that if I was disabling an actual important Kinect function that it would not work -- at all...so why was it working intermittently?  What is this device?
    • Is there a way to disable the Kinect's microphone?

Thanks,

Joe

• Edited by Joe Lavoine Monday, November 17, 2014 3:39 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Do not disable the microphone, just set the other device you want to use as the default device.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:15 PM
  • This is the problem and the solution I have pointed out in other threads.

Will Microsoft fix this?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Excuse me for reviving an old thread, but I seem to be having the exact same problem, but with a new Kinect for Xbox One (model 1520) and a brand new separately purchased Kinect adapter for Windows on an original Surface Pro running Windows 8.1. It seems the Kinects works for a 15 second interval when starting an Infrared demo followed by a 10 second turning off and on again for 15 seconds and so on... The same Surface Pro worked just fine few months ago running the same OS and a original Kinect for Windows v2 (which seemed to use less shiny xbox light also, so is it using more power, which the same system can't handle?). How do you check for sure if there's a hardware fault in the adapter or the Kinect itself? Should I be worried that on and off Kinect cycles could kill the Surface's USB or the Kinect could fail? Tnx

P.S.

if a Kinect Fusion demo gets started it seems that the period before it stops is non exising...it won't light up the logo.

• Edited by Proksi Friday, January 22, 2016 7:52 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 7:45 PM