none
Transiton from FrontPage Extensions to FTP RRS feed

• Question

• So now my host says that in the future FrontPage Extensions will not be supported.

OK. So now that I have dozen of sites using FrontPage Extensions and clients connecting because the editor (no we do not use themes) is very simple and easy to use. There are NO version control issues because everyone edits off the LIVE site.

My question is - can I still do edits on the server via FTP once the FrontPage Extensions go BYE BYE?

Or do I need to FTP to my computer the files on the server - edit them - and publish them back to the server?

Or should I just by Contribute from Adobe and forget Microsoft?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:33 AM

All replies

• You cannot do editing live with FTP. Working with a local copy and uploading the changes via FTP after proofing them is the preferred method in all cases. FTP is just for Transferring files. Nobody here will recommend editing live--mistakes are live and there's no local backup in case of server crash. Expression Web supports WebDav, but we never hear of anyone using it.

Try Content Seed. Lots of people who come to this forum use it. Google for it; it's sold now by MediaCarbon. The creator has also written books about Expression Web that are published by Microsoft Press, so he knows his stuff. It's also cheaper than Contribute.

With Content Seed, all the editing is done through the browser, so it's even easier for clients to do. It's like working in Word, and they can't screw up the layout of their sites, because it's a lightweight content management system that only allows them to edit what you block off for them.

You'll need to set the "seeds" on each page, which means you'll have to edit each site locally once and publish the changes.

Titanic, the movie, as CSS:

@mixin iceberg {
         float: none;
    }

#titanic {
         @include iceberg;
    }

Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hmm... this makes the third time in three days, starting on May third with this thread, that someone has come here with this issue (FPSE hosting being dropped). Either all three are with the same host, or the already existing trend among providers of dropping the FPSE seems to be accelerating.

If so, I suspect we may soon be seeing an influx of diehard, and now desperate, FP users looking for a magic bullet to save them from the fix they've gotten themselves into. Pity that no such thing exists...

BTW, apparently the OP hasn't lurked around Adobe forums much, and seen the plethora of problems developers and users have encountered with Contribute. I haven't actually checked since CS4 (the last suite I bought) but that version was a real mess. Not to mention the aggregate cost for an extensive setup, by comparison with something like ContentSeed. Just another example, I suppose, of "I'm pissed at Microsoft, so surely Adobe can kiss it and make it well." Oh, well...

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:38 AM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Content Seed is both better and cheaper than Contribute but why not download the current version of Dreamweaver and Contribute's trial to see how that works for yourself.

I know far more people using Content Seed with Dreamweaver than Contribute though.

I'd suggest you get the trial of Expression Web along with the trial of Dreamweaver and see which fits your needs best. Many people here use both. I do.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:55 AM
  • .. And whatever you decide, check the prices.  EW is a lot cheaper than Dreamweaver. Contribute is extremely expensive.  Contentseed is quite reasonable.  And so on.
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:11 PM
  • And whatever you decide, check the prices.  EW is a lot cheaper than Dreamweaver. Contribute is extremely expensive.  Contentseed is quite reasonable.  And so on.

And a similar pattern persists going forward, as well. The last time that WebAssist's "CSS Sculptor" was offered for EW (v.EW2), it was $49.95, dropping to $34.95 before being abandoned when EW3 put the kibosh on addins. At the same time, and still, the product was being offered for Dreamweaver for $99.99.

ContentSeed is tool-neutral, very flexible and configurable, and extremely reasonably priced, with no per-site licensing—pay once for a developer's license, then use it for as many sites as you wish. See the ContentSeed site for pricing.

So, if BJ ever manages to find this thread continuation, the best thing you can do is to start vetting your site to ensure there are no FPSE dependencies (because as soon as you start using FTP you'll corrupt the FPSE), and start mapping the areas that client editors need access to, with an eye to adding "seeds" in those areas and configuring them with the permissions the authors will need for their level of authorship. This will take a little time, so better get started... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Contribute has just been dropped by Adobe in CS6.

I use ContentSeed on several sites now and it's an excellent solution for user editing.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:13 PM