Session Timeout in Linq to entity RRS feed

• Question

• hi 

i have created a c# windows application and i have used a linq to entity framework to transact database , some of these transactions take a long time to update data base and others take a few seconds , i have increased the timeout of a specified transaction that can take long time or short time to update database , 

is there is a problem in short time transactions  to make the session timeout high as example 15 minutes ?

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If I understand correctly, the session timeout should be the command timeout. The command timeout is used to get or set the wait time before terminating the attempt to execute a command and generating an error. It does not include user processing time, only network read time and we can even set it to zero which means indicates no limit (an attempt to execute a command will wait indefinitely). So 15 minutes is OK even for a short time transaction.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Bin Ga3fer Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If I understand correctly, the session timeout should be the command timeout. The command timeout is used to get or set the wait time before terminating the attempt to execute a command and generating an error. It does not include user processing time, only network read time and we can even set it to zero which means indicates no limit (an attempt to execute a command will wait indefinitely). So 15 minutes is OK even for a short time transaction.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Bin Ga3fer Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:59 AM
  • thanks for reply
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:35 AM