none
Problem with UEFI UWF SYSPREP Fatal Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo

I'am having some problem with sysprep,when  I'am trying to prepare an Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro image for deploy.Sysprep stops with a FATAL Error(A fatal error occured while trying to sysprep the machine.System Preparation Tool 3.14).

After Restart there is an error in the sysprep Logfile:SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule:Failure occured while executing' UwfSysprepSpecialize' from C:\Windows\System32\wbem\uwfwmi.dll;dwRet=0x5

mfG

FRH

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Answers

• Hi

I have installed the Updates from August 2014,since that time the problem is solved.

mfg

FRH 

• Marked as answer by frh_SSE Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:24 AM

All replies

• 1. What is the command you are entering for sysprep?

2. Is UWF disabled when you run sysprep

3. Are you running sysprep in an administrator account?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, July 11, 2014 1:42 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

1.  sysprep     /generalize  /oobe  /shutdown

2. UWF is disabled

3. I run sysprep in administrator mode

mfG

FRH

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:10 AM
  • Hi

I have someting forgotten to say. In the logfile I saw another failure:

SYSPRP UWF Installer:GetGeneralVolumeNameFromVolumeGUID failed with hr:0x80070002

SYSPRP UWF Installer:UwfSysprepGeneralize-Delete Machine Specific Volume Settings failed with hr=0x80070002

after this

The failure "SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule:Failure occured while executing' UwfSysprepSpecialize' from C:\Windows\System32\wbem\uwfwmi.dll;dwRet=0x5"  comes.

mfg

FRH

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi

I have installed the Updates from August 2014,since that time the problem is solved.

mfg

FRH 

• Marked as answer by frh_SSE Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Zombie I know, but I just thought I'd mention this. I had a very similar problem to day and someone with a very short fuse who shall remain nameless expecting me to be psychic.

If you copy the image to another machine, your volumeGUID will be different from what UWF expects. This causes generalize to explode in GetGeneralVolumeNameFromVolumeGUID

Find the volume GUID:  mountvol <protected drive> /L

regedit: 

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uwfvol\Parameters\Static\Copy0\Volumes\0

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uwfvol\Parameters\Static\Copy1\Volumes\0

Adjust the following to taste.

PartitionGUID

VolumeName

=^x^=

Monday, July 31, 2017 7:41 AM
  • This saved me a whole lot of diagnostic time. Thank you very much!
    Saturday, September 26, 2020 7:27 AM
  • Well, I runt into this in Windows 10 IoT enterprise, but this tip pointed to the right direction. In my case sysprep usually worked fine, but when I install the system to the device on the 2nd interface the SATA bus and install an additional device to the 1st one (which was not there before).

I initally installed UWF and added C: to the protected volumes (using uwfmgr utility), but I didn't turn UWF on in meaning of filter state remains disabled during configuration/deployment. After running into troubles I tried to remove C: (again: using uwfmgr), but this didn't help.

In the end, my experience was that you should just install UWF and confgure protected volumes etc. beyond the specialize pass (f.ex. in a FirstLoginCommand etc.).

In addition to "P 'Bunny' E"s suggestion following helped me to get rid of this (prior to running sysprep):

• Uninstall and reinstall UWF using the "Turn WIndows Features on or off" and leave it unfigured as stated above (AFAIR this is also possible in Windows 8 Industry)
    • Since you might not know the PartitionGUID on the target
      1) Set "NumVolumes" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uwfvol\Parameters\Static\CopyX\Volumes to "0" (CopyX might be Copy0, Copy1,...)
      2) Remove the sub keys below HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uwfvol\Parameters\Static\CopyX\Volumes

Hope this would help someone out there...

Friday, October 16, 2020 9:29 AM