Help required on Google Doc API RRS feed

• Question

• User1372324101 posted

Hi,

I have requirement, where I want to open a WORD DOCUMENT(.doc) in my ASP.NET Application.

I should be able to provide full EDITING features to that opened documet[As if we have opened Goggle Document on Browser].

User will make the changes in the word document and in the end I should be able to save back that document on my SERVER[where my ASP.NET application is hosting]. 

As I said, I want to do something with Google Doc API.

1. I want to open a Word Template(.doc) from MY SERVER into Google Doc ENVIRONMENT, may be using Google Doc upload using some Default Google Doc Account.

2. User will make the necessary changes and save the file, then I should be able to Download the Edited template(.doc) back to MY SERVER.

The most important thing that I want to acheive is ONLINE Editing of a Word Document.

Google DOC provide very impresive UI for editing their document, I want to Integrate their EDITOR in my ASP.NET Application.

I have gone through Google Doc API. It tells me how to download/upload the file on Google DOC, but there in no help I found on intergating GOOGLE DOC EDITOR with ASP.NET.

Please suggest is it the feasiable way to acheive my requirement.

Please provide the code snippet for EDITIOR intergation.

Thanks

Siraj

Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:49 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

The Google Documents List Data API, which is what you are actually referring to, is a special version of the Google Data API that specifically provides you with support to access and manipulate data stored in Google Documents.  It does not provide a means to directly access Google Documents itself. If you want to make use of Google Docs, then you will need to find a compatible editor to create your documents.  However, since you actually want to work with Word documents, then you really should look into third-party controls that will allow for creating and editing Word documents in an ASP.NET application, preferably with the same look and feel as the Google Docs interface.  As for direct programmatic access to Google Documents, as far as I know and can tell, it does not exist (and probably won't since they were prefer for you to use Google Docs directly).

Then again, you could always use an IFrame element to contain the Google Documents interface, though that's just providing your users a means to use Google Documents directly without anything from you to begin with.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:09 AM
  • User1372324101 posted

Thanks for the reply,

As you suggested, open Google Doc in IFrame.

I want to know Is it possiable, to login to google doc account from ASP.Net, render it's interface in some IFrame. I mean to say Is it possiable to pass user credentials through Query String and the required document id and then I want to open in IFrame

Please Suggest

Siraj 

Monday, December 28, 2009 12:38 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

If you use the IFrame approach, then everything will be handled within the IFrame and nothing will be handled by your application with regards to Google Docs.  In fact, you will still need to log in through Google.  The reason is that you cannot do anything with Google Docs application within your ASP.NET application.  You can only use the data provided through the API to manipulate it.  Regardless, this does not help with your Word document.

If your requirement for using a Word document is important, then I would look into a third-party editor application and steer clear of Google Documents.

Monday, December 28, 2009 10:54 AM
  • User1372324101 posted

Thank you very much.

I will be very gratefull.

Waiting for your suggestion

Thanks

Siraj 

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:12 AM
  • User-566541882 posted

Old post but a nice POST .

hey Careed  ,

I  hav the same problem ,  i need to build on online WORD editor similart 2 that of Google Docs but in j2ee.

i read ur post which says that v need 2 use 3rd party application .

Can u suggest any idea of how to

1. print the content of a WORD file on the browser without loosing any indentation & formaatting ...

2. how 2 convert .DOC to .HTML 

Ur help will b appreciated ...

Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:30 PM
  • User1372324101 posted

Third Party option

1. Aspos Editor

2. Zoho Online Editor

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:18 AM
  • User-566541882 posted

Thanks for the reply mohdsiraj20 ,

But i need to build the editor myself .

1. through Zoho , i would b using 3rd party app.

2. throgh aspos , i am able to generate word document . I m not able to view the word  document on the browser with aspos ..

I hope i hav made myself clear  . So what i basicaly need is some alternative of viewing the word documnet on browser , or some api's which can convert word files to html format .

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:42 AM