video call application - is it possible? how to start? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to include a video call/video chat functionality for my Windows Store app. The background for this: The user should have the opportunity to video chat with a support employee. 

The most important question for me is how you would implement such a functionality in your app. I have no knowledge in this field at all. Are there third party tools that I can use? I've read about the Red5 Media Server and about fluourine fx but I don't think that I can use them for my Windows Store project. One requirement for the video chat is, that there might be zero to many support members. There are also zero to many users that might call at the same time.

Secondly, I am confused about the Windows Store certification requirements. May I develop a WPF software for the support members that handles the incoming requests, or do I have to add the functionalities for the support members in the Windows Store app as well?

Regards, Johann

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:50 PM

Answers

• For what you describe you probably want a turnkey system rather than writing your own. A fully featured chat server will be fairly complicated if you aren't familiar with the subject.

For the client side in the Windows Store app there is a simple peer-to-peer video chat sample: Real-time communication sample (Windows 8) . This will demonstrate the client side which would be written as a Windows Store app, but not the server you'd need for what you describe.

I'm not sure what you mean by support members. WPF is not supported in a Windows Store app and wouldn't be appropriate for the server side of an app.

--Rob

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• For what you describe you probably want a turnkey system rather than writing your own. A fully featured chat server will be fairly complicated if you aren't familiar with the subject.

For the client side in the Windows Store app there is a simple peer-to-peer video chat sample: Real-time communication sample (Windows 8) . This will demonstrate the client side which would be written as a Windows Store app, but not the server you'd need for what you describe.

I'm not sure what you mean by support members. WPF is not supported in a Windows Store app and wouldn't be appropriate for the server side of an app.

--Rob

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your input. I've tested the real-time communication sample. I could definitely use some code from that for the client side. But in general this sample is quite buggy and restricting.

Can you recommend some "tool/system" vor the server side? I have no ideas which turnkey systems there are that I might use.

With support member I mean a person that is answering the call who provides help. The users on side A (using the Windows Store App) click on the call button and a support person can then answer the call (on side B). I thought about using an WPF Application for the support person. In between there has to be a server.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Hi Johann,

I'm not familiar with what servers are available and provide open API. That's well beyond what we deal with here.

I believe the Skype API will let you launch a Skype call in the Skype client, but not write your own client. See How can I use Skype URIs in my Win 8 apps? You might want to double check on the Skype forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:25 PM