Memory Cache Distribuited In Role memory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I´m discussing about the behaviour of the Memory Cache distribuited in role, using in with the session state provider for a ASP.NET MVC4 Application.

I think that if you set up 1 GB of Ram per instance, you will have 4GB with 4 instance. And this Distribuited Cache is not fault toleran, so in case that and instance CRASH, you will lose all the ASP.NET Session that you have in the memory of that instance, and you will have to regenerate the user session based on the authentication cookie (doing this in global asax, for example).

So this Memory Cache Distribuited works as Memached works.

The other opinion is that you have 1 GB of RAM per instance and if you have 4 instance, you will have 1GB RAM replicated in all the roles.

I´m 99.9999% sure, that it is the first behaviour that I said, because that is the sense of "Distribuited", and the second description is the sense of "fault tolerant".

Thank you guys!

Friday, October 5, 2012 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The Windows Server AppFabric Cache will maintain two copies of cached objects on different servers. If you have a 1G cache configured across four servers you will have 2G total cache, with 2x replication. If a server vails, the cached objects will redistribute, so you will have a 1.5 G cache with 2x replicaion.

I have not checked if this is the case with the distributed cache in role memory, but as they are defived from the same technology, it may well be.

Regards,

Alan

Free EBook: "Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide" http://www.cloudcasts.net/devguide/

• Marked as answer by Dino He Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:14 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:43 PM