none
SB application Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all! I have had this weird problem when I try to open SB for a while. I have .net 3.5 and Win xp sp 3 installed. I have Re-installed and Re-downloaded Small Basic and .net multiple times to no avail. I have also tried .net 4. Attached is a picture of the error I get. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

Cobra355~

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:45 AM

Answers

• Plz read the post below:

small-basic-and-windows-8

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:57 AM
    Answerer
  • If the SB generated ex fails - assuming you un zipped the exe and SmallBasicLibrary.dll to the same place to run - means that almost certainly this issue is .Net not properly installed in some way.

Apart from uninstalling and re-installing I'm not sure what else to suggest - perhaps try some other .Net programs to absolutely sure, e.g. Paint.Net which also needs .Net 3.5 SP1 and is an excellent program in itself.

Once absolutely confirmed .Net is the issue, you may need to do some googling for ways to check the installation, perhaps start here.

Note also that XP support is ending in April 2014 I think.

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:22 PM

All replies

• Plz read the post below:

small-basic-and-windows-8

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:57 AM
    Answerer
  • Has it ever worked on your XP SP3 machine?

When you uninstall SB, also delete the installation directory (after uninstall) before reinstalling.

What do you get when you hit Cancel (to debug application)?

You need .Net 3.5 SP1 I think for XP, see here (post by GoToLoop); .Net 3.5 SP1 download here.

Try running a Small Basic generated exe if you have one, if not I have one for download here (Other Resource Downloads - Hello World Test).  Unzip exe and dll to a folder and run exe - just TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello World") compiled.

• Marked as answer by Jibba jModerator Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zock77Editor Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Thanks for replying!

Yes it has worked on my XP SP3 machine before. I've also tried System restore a few times because I don't know what I could have changed to make SB stop working. When I hit Cancel noting different happens. I un-installed every .net I found, then installed 3.5 plus 3.5 SP1. Still the same. Also when I run a Small Basic generated exe, I get the same error as I do when I try to open SB. :-|

Cobra355~

Friday, January 3, 2014 12:39 AM
  • If the SB generated ex fails - assuming you un zipped the exe and SmallBasicLibrary.dll to the same place to run - means that almost certainly this issue is .Net not properly installed in some way.

Apart from uninstalling and re-installing I'm not sure what else to suggest - perhaps try some other .Net programs to absolutely sure, e.g. Paint.Net which also needs .Net 3.5 SP1 and is an excellent program in itself.

Once absolutely confirmed .Net is the issue, you may need to do some googling for ways to check the installation, perhaps start here.

Note also that XP support is ending in April 2014 I think.

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Ok, I will keep trying. I will post some results soon. Thank you for your help!

Cobra355~

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Just installed Paint .net, it works perfectly.

On the instillation check, a window pops up and says I don't have .net 4.3 or something.

Well I will give Google another shot now.

My Dad has a subscription to "US Tech Support", I might have them look at it if all else fails.

Cobra355~

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Try running a Small Basic generated exe if you have one, if not I have one for download here (Other Resource Downloads - Hello World Test).  Unzip exe and dll to a folder and run exe - just TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello World") compiled.
     Have you tried this yet??

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes.

Cobra355~

Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi Cobra355

On the other thread small-basic-and-windows-8 did you check your windows features. There's some simple instructions and a pic of how to check. Especially if you've got .NET 4 on your machine.??

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:55 AM
  • So if paint .net works perfectly, why isn't SB working? PLEASE HELP! I'M GONNA DIE WITHOUT INFO!!

Cobra355~

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Sorry Jibba Jabba, But this hasn't quite been answered yet. He tried every thing you guys posted and none of them has worked yet. (He has told me so) :D

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:46 PM
    Answerer
  • No worries Zock, thanks.

Hi Cobra355, if you haven't already, see if you can check your Windows features, especially since you d/loaded .NET 4

This is how it looks on Win7 may be something similar on XP.

In control panel:  Control panel > Programs > turn windows features on or off.

Mine (win7, has both .NET 4.5 & 3.5) looks like this: (partially selected):

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Hmm. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my OS. Anyway this is as close I could come to finding anything similar to win 7 features. 

Cobra355~

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:28 PM