Group Test Results on the build machine - Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to group the test results on the build machine by different options so that I can better manager the test results.

I do find an option to group the tests by Project and other options, but they dont seem to be working. For example see my test results on my build machine grouped by Projects.

Also I don't find an option to group them by test attribute options like TestCategory, TestProperty etc.

Please let me know if anybody has explored these options.

NOTE: I do have VS 2012 Update1 installed on my local machine, but not on the build machine.

I am not sure whether installing update1 on the build machine will make it better.

Thanks!

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I do find an option to group the tests by Project and other options, but they dont seem to be working. For example see my test results on my build machine grouped by Projects.

I noticed that there is an error “no test runs were published”. I would like to know if you are working with TFS build. If yes, I am not TFS build expert. And based on your error, it seems that we can see the test run results only after we publish the test runs.

In addition, actually no matter whether or not you work with TFS build, as I know after we run unit tests in VS 2012 IDE, there will be not .trx file generated. So we can’t see test result file in Test Results window.

If you run web tests or load tests, the Group by option is useful to group the tests. You can group the test results of this test run by project/classname etc. Since there is no Test View, we can’t run multiple web tests once. In this case there will be one test result in Test Results window. The Group by function can’t show clearly. In order to check the function of Group by option better, you can run multiple types of tests from Test View in VS 2010 and then group test results using Group by option to check the result.

Now there is no option like TestCategory, TestProperty in Group by. If you think that these options are important to you, you could submit this feature request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:41 AM
  • Thanks Amanda for the response.
    Yes.. I am displaying the test run results from TFS Build.
    If I don't have any GRoupBy option = None, I am getting the entire test results. I don't have to publish it to see the test run results.

As you suggested I will post it to a forum dealing with TFS Build.
     I have posted the idea to allow listing by TestCategory and TestProperties.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3789466-tfs-build-vs-2012-test-run-results-groupby-optio

Thanks for your support.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I noticed that there is an error “no test runs were published”. I would like to know if you are working with TFS build. If yes, I am not TFS build expert. And based on your error, it seems that we can see the test run results only after we publish the test runs.

In addition, actually no matter whether or not you work with TFS build, as I know after we run unit tests in VS 2012 IDE, there will be not .trx file generated. So we can’t see test result file in Test Results window.

If you run web tests or load tests, the Group by option is useful to group the tests. You can group the test results of this test run by project/classname etc. Since there is no Test View, we can’t run multiple web tests once. In this case there will be one test result in Test Results window. The Group by function can’t show clearly. In order to check the function of Group by option better, you can run multiple types of tests from Test View in VS 2010 and then group test results using Group by option to check the result.

Now there is no option like TestCategory, TestProperty in Group by. If you think that these options are important to you, you could submit this feature request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:41 AM
  • Thanks Amanda for the response.
    Yes.. I am displaying the test run results from TFS Build.
    If I don't have any GRoupBy option = None, I am getting the entire test results. I don't have to publish it to see the test run results.

As you suggested I will post it to a forum dealing with TFS Build.
     I have posted the idea to allow listing by TestCategory and TestProperties.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3789466-tfs-build-vs-2012-test-run-results-groupby-optio

Thanks for your support.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

Glad to see that and thank you for sharing your experience and user voice link here.  It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. And I will help you vote it. Meanwhile I will close this thread.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:35 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:34 AM