none
Migration step for an Excel 2003 project to Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm having some troubles with the migration step of Visual Studio Conversion Wizard. Actually it converts badly some components in Excel Workbook.

I'm going to take a simple example : when you add a Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls.Button button in an Excel Workbook 2003 project (Visual Studio 2008, VSTO 2005 and office 2003) and you upgrade this project to an Excel Workbook 2010 project this button won't be a Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls.Button button anymore (Visual Studio 2010, VSTO 2010 and Office 2010). 

It is the same of others Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls.

I don't understand why this link is lost, why a Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls.Button of a Workbook 2003 isn't anymore a Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls.Button of a Workbook 2010 after the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard step.

Is it normal ? Do I have to redrag and redrop all my Microsoft.Office.Tools.Controls for the project ?

Thank you.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi yayu

In the upgrade documentation for the software combination you describe I find:

"If the document in the project contains Windows Forms controls, you must also have the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime installed before you upgrade the project. If this version of the runtime is not installed on the development computer before you upgrade the project, there might be compile or run time errors in the upgraded project. After you finish upgrading the project, you can uninstall the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime from the development computer if it is not being used by any other Office solutions. This version of the runtime is available as a redistributable package from the Microsoft Download Center at Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime (VSTO 2005 SE) (x86)."

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k2xkefex(v=vs.100).aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by yayu58 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:34 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi yayu

In the upgrade documentation for the software combination you describe I find:

"If the document in the project contains Windows Forms controls, you must also have the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime installed before you upgrade the project. If this version of the runtime is not installed on the development computer before you upgrade the project, there might be compile or run time errors in the upgraded project. After you finish upgrading the project, you can uninstall the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime from the development computer if it is not being used by any other Office solutions. This version of the runtime is available as a redistributable package from the Microsoft Download Center at Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime (VSTO 2005 SE) (x86)."

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k2xkefex(v=vs.100).aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by yayu58 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:34 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Great ! Thank You Cindy !

You are right all is clearly explained in the upgrade document and I should have read more in details this document.

I will try this and validate your answer :)

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:41 AM