vss label history RRS feed

• Question

• We want to achieve cmmi level 2 compatibility using VSS. The baselines once created should not be overwritten as per CMMI. When the label command is used for baseline creation, these labels can be overwritten. I checked the history and there was no information about the overwritten baseline. Now I want some labels of some specific format not overwritable or atleast when overwritten, I want to have a history of such overwriting. Is it possible? Thanks  for the reply in advance.Best regards.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:48 PM

Answers

• For CMMI Level two, its better to use two different types of labelling conventions. For example Baseline labels can only be applied by Lead at respective VSS project and only that lead have rights R/C/A on the project where the label is to apply, every body else only have rights R/C. By doing so there will be less chance of labels overwritten.

Otherwise VSS as such not provide any such facility because you should have atlease R/C/A rights to apply or delete a label.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Suba,

I tried this out in both VSS2005 and VSS6 and though the labels are overwritable, there is a history of the label changes when the project's history is viewed.  Are you talking about reusing your baseline's label name?  If so, reusing the same label would ask you to either remove the old label of the same name from the history or cancel the operation (and not reapply the label).  Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Steve

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:04 PM
  • For CMMI Level two, its better to use two different types of labelling conventions. For example Baseline labels can only be applied by Lead at respective VSS project and only that lead have rights R/C/A on the project where the label is to apply, every body else only have rights R/C. By doing so there will be less chance of labels overwritten.

Otherwise VSS as such not provide any such facility because you should have atlease R/C/A rights to apply or delete a label.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:35 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the swift reply.

As per CMMI guidelines, the baseline once done, should not be overwritten. Our users reuse the same baseline label(or remove the old label) several times. This is not in the history. We want to prevent overwriting labels with this format. Atleast even if they are overwritten we should see in the history on what reason they are overwritten.

Best regards,

Suba

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

Like in CVS, are there not any possibilities of running scripts before execution of tag command that checks if the tag already exists?

Is it only possible with these different access rights solution?

Thanks

Subha.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:59 PM
  • Hi

We are also working on CMMI ML-2.

We are also using VSS 2005,for our configuration management.We are using following approach to establish baselines within VSS.

1. We have created seperate folders for baselines,on baseline folders no body have access other than R[read] ,if any change is approved via our Chanage Mng System then rights are assigned to change the baseline label.

2. To take the snapshot of the Baseline,we alos create baseline reports in which we have details about the items like thier version NOs etc to see that what exact labels they have.In that way even they are changed we have information about the last baseline.

Please comment.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:25 PM