none
Why can I only submit geocoding requests in batches of 50? RRS feed

• Question

• Apologies if this gets posted twice, but I received an error when I clicked submit last time and I can't see that it has been successfully posted. So I'll try again.

I have read many times that I should be able to geocode thousands of locations in one request. However, my experience is that

(a) If I submit more than 50 locations in one request, I immediately get a 503 response.
    (b) If I submit more than 50 such requests sequentially, I again receive a 503 error, and continue to do so for the next 24 hours.

I have 200,000 locations which I need to add Lat/Long data to, so at this rate it will take me 80 days, or 16 weeks Surely there must be a better way??

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations?

Also, is there really no additional data to allow us to detect WHY we are receiving the 503 response? As far as I can see there is only X-MS-BM-WS-INFO, which is always 0, suggesting I am not beiong "rate limited". Although I know that I am!

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Ade
    Friday, June 22, 2018 1:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• It looks like you're hitting limit for Basic keys: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg585136.aspx, if you have Enterprise account change your key type to Enterprise. If you do not have license see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/licensing/options.
    Friday, June 22, 2018 2:22 PM
  • I get that this is happening, but I don't understand why? And nor do I understand why I don't get a sensible error response, although that is a separate issue!

According to my key usage details, everything I am doing is "non-billable". It says on the Bing Maps info site:

"Only billable transactions count towards the free-use limits for Basic keys". 

It also says

"Bing Spatial Data Services batch geocode transactions (Dataflow:BatchGeocode) become billable when you reach one (1) million batch geocode transactions within a year, even when you use a session ID"

So a job limit of 50 geocoding requests in one transaction, and 50 transactions in 24 hours, doesn't seem to fit the limits I see in the information provided. Also, I am not, according to the value of X-MS-BM-WS-INFO, getting rate-limited.

Is there something else going on?

• Edited by Rhaglen Friday, June 22, 2018 2:50 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 2:49 PM
  • Last week's usage - all non-billable
    Friday, June 22, 2018 2:54 PM
  • You're mixing limits here, next to the transactions usage limit for basic keys there are also Geocode and Data Source Limits that I've provided link for before. If you need to geocode more that 50 entities at one you'll need to have license (enterprise account).
    Friday, June 22, 2018 3:16 PM
  • I understand that this is happening, but from the way I read it in those pages, "non-billable" transactions don't count. If they do count, then what is the difference between billable and non-billable transactions? As you can see from my key usage charts, 100% of my transactions have been "non-billable".

Is there another way of interpreting the statement

"Only billable transactions count towards the free-use limits for Basic keys"?

Friday, June 22, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Batch geocodes are billable, but are not currently counted as such in reports for legacy reasons. The terms of use were recently updated. 

But in any case, as S1mon_ mentioned you are mixing up limits. billable or not, batch geocoding for all basic accounts has a limit of 50 rows per request. Each row in  batch request generates a transaction, not the single batch request.

Friday, June 22, 2018 4:44 PM
  • OK I think I finally got it - thanks!
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:44 PM