locked
login trouble when moving site RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-551925437 posted

    I have searched the forums and find many postings related but not exactly covering the problems I've had moving my clubsite into production. I have a working site with a domain and hosting account on gate.com. The site works on that site as well as locally on my PC.

    Last week I created a new account with gate.com for my production site, recreating the database and copying the files.  The site works great except when I try logging in.  Unlike other posts on this forum, my application table id matches up with the users created and I am not using any framed redirects.  I have also checked functionality on IE and Firefox and both browers give same results.  What happens is when you log in, it just refreshes the login.aspx page.  It clears the userid and password and gives no errors, but it hasn't logged you in.  The login page is the exact copy of what is working on the other site.

    When I copied the files, all I changed were my connection values (server, uid, pwd) in the web.config.file.  Interestingly enough, I tried to leave these settings, having the application point to the original database, and it still didn't work.  That makes me think it isn't the db.

    To install the db (SQL Server 2005), I ran aspnet_regsql and then copied the tables (blank, no data).  Once tables were in place I created the user in WebAdmin on my local machine.  I checked the remote db and it correctly added the user to the membership table.

     Any help would be appreciated!!  I'm going nuts...

     

    Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:40 PM

All replies

  • User300685930 posted

    take a look a this post:

    http://peterkellner.net/2006/10/20/loginfailswithiisnotcasini/

     

     

    Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:44 PM
  • User-551925437 posted

    Thanks.  I had checked the application name and it was correctly set.  I did however find the problem just a few minutes ago!  It was related to the fact that my local PC here is running ZoneAlarm for a firewall.  Apparently even if you have cookies wide open on the IE or Firefox browser, you must manually enter the domain name into ZoneAlarm before it will allow cookies to pass.  So, for anyone else having these symptoms, make sure your browser is set to accept cookies and any firewall software you might be running has the domain name listed under trusted sites.

    Just to recap...for those having trouble logging into asp.net sites, please look at the following:

    1. Ensure your application id is set in your config file properly and matches that in the aspnet_application table in your database.
    2. Make sure your browser(s) have cookies enabled.
    3. Make sure you make your domain a trusted site if running firewall software.
    4. Make sure your domain is not forwarded (through frames) to your hosting site.  The cookies can't pass through to the hosting site this way.  Instead, use your hosting site's name servers.

    Thanks

     

    Sunday, October 22, 2006 1:25 PM
  • User1016770055 posted
    Sweet!!!!!!! I've been having this problem! That sorted it! I owe you a BJ![:D]
    Friday, December 15, 2006 3:32 PM