none
Does PowerPoint implement 5.1.3.7 wavAudioFile (Audio from WAV File) (ECMA-376)? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if PowerPoint implements 5.1.3.7 wavAudioFile (Audio from WAV File) (ECMA-376)? I'm trying to find a scenario in which the client product would use wavAudioFile over audioFile, but can't. I have .wav files that use audioFile (the Insert Sound ribbon button), so I'm just wondering under what circumstances would wavAudioFile be implemented instead. Would it be file size? A certain codec? Anything else?
    Monday, April 25, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Terlo,

wavAudioFile” represents “Embedded” WAV audio.  “audioFile” represents a “linked” WAV audio file.

This is defined from the reference you sent which points to 1st Edition ECMA-376 Part 4 section 5.1.3.7:

5.1.3.7  wavAudioFile (Audio from WAV File)

This element specifies the existence of an audio WAV file. This element is specified within the non-visual properties of an object. The audio must be attached to an object as this is how it is represented within the document. The actual playing of the audio however is done within the timing node list that is specified under the timing element.

[Example: Consider the following picture object that has an audio WAV file attached to it.

<p:pic>

<p:nvPicPr>

<p:cNvPr id="7" name="Rectangle 6">

<a:hlinkClick r:id="" action="ppaction://media"/>

</p:cNvPr>

<p:cNvPicPr>

<a:picLocks noRot="1"/>

</p:cNvPicPr>

<p:nvPr>

<a:wavAudioFile r:embed="rId2"/>

</p:nvPr>

</p:nvPicPr>

…

</p:pic>

In the above example, we see that there is a single wavAudioFile element attached to this picture. This picture is placed within the document just as a normal picture or shape would be. The id of this picture, namely 7 in this case, will be used to refer to this wavAudioFile element from within the timing node list. The Embedded relationship id will be used to retrieve the actual audio file for playback purposes. end example]

[Note: This element is generally used for the purposes of embedding audio files within the document. For linking to generic audio files the audioFile element should be used. end note]

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Friday, April 29, 2011 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi, Terlo,

Thanks for your question.   One of our engineer will work on it and respond to you soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Monday, April 25, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi Terlo,

I will investigate the answer to your question and follow up with you asap.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Hi Terlo,

What document are you referring to regarding your mention of "5.1.3.7"?

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hi Terlo,

wavAudioFile” represents “Embedded” WAV audio.  “audioFile” represents a “linked” WAV audio file.

This is defined from the reference you sent which points to 1st Edition ECMA-376 Part 4 section 5.1.3.7:

5.1.3.7  wavAudioFile (Audio from WAV File)

This element specifies the existence of an audio WAV file. This element is specified within the non-visual properties of an object. The audio must be attached to an object as this is how it is represented within the document. The actual playing of the audio however is done within the timing node list that is specified under the timing element.

[Example: Consider the following picture object that has an audio WAV file attached to it.

<p:pic>

<p:nvPicPr>

<p:cNvPr id="7" name="Rectangle 6">

<a:hlinkClick r:id="" action="ppaction://media"/>

</p:cNvPr>

<p:cNvPicPr>

<a:picLocks noRot="1"/>

</p:cNvPicPr>

<p:nvPr>

<a:wavAudioFile r:embed="rId2"/>

</p:nvPr>

</p:nvPicPr>

…

</p:pic>

In the above example, we see that there is a single wavAudioFile element attached to this picture. This picture is placed within the document just as a normal picture or shape would be. The id of this picture, namely 7 in this case, will be used to refer to this wavAudioFile element from within the timing node list. The Embedded relationship id will be used to retrieve the actual audio file for playback purposes. end example]

[Note: This element is generally used for the purposes of embedding audio files within the document. For linking to generic audio files the audioFile element should be used. end note]

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Friday, April 29, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Got it, I think what you reference is more of a PowerPoint 2007 client thing - embedded with just audioFile, not wavAudioFile, in 2010 seems to be the norm.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 8:41 PM