Merge Replication with Web Edition RRS feed

• Question

• We're looking at setting up an environment that has a SQL Server 2012 Standard Server replicating to a Sql Server 2012 Web Edition server using merge replication. One of the reasons we're doing this is so that records can be updated from an app on a web server to the subscribing server, and data loads can be done on one the publishing server. We're also using this for DR purposes as well.

My question is, if the publishing Standard server fails, can the publication server be rebuilt and have the records that were updated while the publishing server was down, replicated back from the subscribing server? Plus, is this even possible using the web edition on one end? Would it work if I have Standard edition for each server since Web edition only supports subscriber only?

Monday, April 29, 2013 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. SQL server Web edition supports Merge Subscriber
    2. Just as Kerobin post above, if you had backup the pubilcation database with  KEEP_REPLICATION option ,it will prevent replication settings from being removed when a database backup or log backup is restored on a warm standby server and the database is recovered.
    3. There are two approaches to restoring a merge publication database. After restoring the publication database from a backup, you should either:Synchronize the publication database with a subscription database; Reinitialize all subscriptions to the publications in the publication database.
    Using either of these methods ensures that after a restore is performed, the Publisher and all Subscribers are synchronized.
    Reference:Strategies for Backing Up and Restoring Merge Replication

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Fanny Liu Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Denison Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:04 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• I believe when you say rebuild you meant Backup and restore of the publisher DB. If that is the case you can restore the backup with KEEP_REPLICATION option enabled, and the updated data will catch up with no issues. Note: to see the retention period and no download_only article in your publication.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. - Kerobin

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Kerobin, thanks for the reply.

When I mentioned Rebuild, I was referring to a worst case scenario where the publishing server needs to be rebuilt and SQL reinstalled and the databases restored. I have done this before but not with the Web Edition running as a subscriber.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

1. SQL server Web edition supports Merge Subscriber
    2. Just as Kerobin post above, if you had backup the pubilcation database with  KEEP_REPLICATION option ,it will prevent replication settings from being removed when a database backup or log backup is restored on a warm standby server and the database is recovered.
    3. There are two approaches to restoring a merge publication database. After restoring the publication database from a backup, you should either:Synchronize the publication database with a subscription database; Reinitialize all subscriptions to the publications in the publication database.
    Using either of these methods ensures that after a restore is performed, the Publisher and all Subscribers are synchronized.
    Reference:Strategies for Backing Up and Restoring Merge Replication

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Fanny Liu Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Denison Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:04 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:47 AM