none
BSP for Raspberry Pi or Cubieboard and etc. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I searched Internet for an inexpensive board which support Windows Embedded Compact. But all the boards such as Raspberry Pi, Cubieboard, Marsboard, Hackberry,... don't have BSP for Windows Embedded Compact. These boards are from non-profit communities and are very inexpensive (about 40$~70$). All of them support Android and Linux. Look how much they are popular! Don't you want to do such this task for Windows Embedded Compact?

Why no group begin developing a BSP for such these boards? There are many people who wish to run WEC on them. The writer of this blog (http://bolingconsulting.com/category/windows-compact/) stated that he is going to develop one but there is no new post from him.

There are many people who are ready to donate for whom develop a WEC BSP for such these boards.

Hope to see one in near future, specially WEC 7 on www.Cubieboard.org.

• Edited by sb1370 Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:27 AM

All replies

• I won't comment on why others will not but I can tell you some of the main reasons why I would not and barriers that exist for me to do this.

1. Development Tool Cost
    2. Licensing Issues
    3. Board Support Package for Processor
    4. Non-Disclosure Issues

The development tool cost for Platform Builder is simply too steep to purchase to use as a toy.  If I was making money off of what I was building, or using it in a work environment the cost is fine, but to pay for the software in order to develop something in my spare time as a hobby just doesn't make sense for me personally due to the up front cost of purchasing all the required software.

Linux already has support for the System-On-Chip (SOC) processors that these cheap (in price not quality) hobby products use.  Therefore, there is often not much that people need to actually do to get them running and having fun.  Only some processors have free Board Support Packages for Windows CE available adding to additional work that a person must do in order to get a project off the ground.

Certain manufacturers of System-On-Chip processors require you to sign agreements or NDA's prior to receiving their data sheets for the processors. I have no idea if the manufacturers of the System-On-Chip processors for the Raspberry Pi, Cubieboard and friends fall into this category but that is the a large barrier for someone to clear just to program for it as a hobby.

Lastly, I am fairly pragmatic about stuff and have limited time.  I have a Raspberry Pi that I bought to accomplish a specific task.  Currently, Linux was the quickest fastest and cheapest (free dev tools) to go from inception to implementation and it is now in use and working (I haven't touched it since I got it working 4 months ago.)  No matter how much I may like other OS's than Linux, I'll continue to pick Linux for all my hobby work as long as it is the quickest and shortest path to a working and functioning system.

I don't do technical stuff outside of work for the fun of development, I do technical stuff outside of work for the fun that the final developed product / tool / toy provides.

Brad.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Raspberry Pi didn't support Android at first but their community ported it.

I understand you don't have enough time for such these tasks, but there should be some  developers who are interested in it.

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:42 AM