none
Alerts from events RRS feed

• Question

• We have a few events that we track in a system and would like to get alerts if the number of events cross a certain threshold. Is it possible to achieve this with App Insights?

If not, how can we go about to send an alert if only a certain type of exception is raised a certain number of time? At this point, it seems that you can only send an alert if the number of server exceptions is more than a certain threshold?

Another option I am trying is to track a specific metric if this exception is raised. The problem with this is that the metric value will always be 1 since a cumulative count can be kept. When setting up the alert, the Threshold of 1 would never be breached so the alert would never be raised...

Any ideas or suggestions to get the alerts we need?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:29 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the feedback. Supporting alerts on event counts is on our backlog. We are also working on other capabilities which will address these scenarios: for instance - ability to alert on a segmented/filtered metric (alert me when the count of this specific exception exceeds X), and also ability to alert on min/max in addition to the average over time.

Meanwhile - if it is possible to give the outlier metric value a substantially different value: for instance, if you send a very high number for each time the exception is thrown, vs 0 for all successful operations. This approach may need a few iterations to ensure the threshold is reliably hit. Another option could be to send a 0 periodically (not for each operation). That will make sure the outstanding alert will be reset to allow it to be triggered again.  

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:15 PM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback. Supporting alerts on event counts is on our backlog. We are also working on other capabilities which will address these scenarios: for instance - ability to alert on a segmented/filtered metric (alert me when the count of this specific exception exceeds X), and also ability to alert on min/max in addition to the average over time.

Meanwhile - if it is possible to give the outlier metric value a substantially different value: for instance, if you send a very high number for each time the exception is thrown, vs 0 for all successful operations. This approach may need a few iterations to ensure the threshold is reliably hit. Another option could be to send a 0 periodically (not for each operation). That will make sure the outstanding alert will be reset to allow it to be triggered again.  

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

It would be great to get these updates and be able to send alerts on the criteria you set out.

It would also be great to be able to report on exceptions etc using PowerBI - I do assume though that the PowerBI capability would be further expanded as time passes.

I will however not mark this as answered until the updates are available for use.

Thank you,

MS

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Hello Marias,

If there is a feature request that you would like to track you can create a uservoice request that would be closed when implemented. As a question I consider this to be answered.

Anastasia

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:40 PM
  • Hi, does this feature exist yet?  It would make my life much easier.
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:52 PM