How to create financial charts? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1946029919 posted

Hi you all, 
    I intend to display data on my website in form of chart, but has yet to know how to create financial charts like those on Yahoo!Finance or other sites.
    Is there some free package (a module, a control)?

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:51 AM

All replies

• User247697164 posted

Are you just talking about creating a line graph like the ones on Yahoo! Finance?  If so, you have several options.

There are always 3rd party controls that vary in appearance and price; they range from free to a whole lotta money.

You can also write your own.  Here is an article that shows the basic steps to writing a line graph:

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/LineGraph.asp

This might help get you started at least (if that is the way you decide to go).

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:27 PM
  • User-1946029919 posted

Could you tell me about some 3rd party controls? The most popular free control?

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:17 PM
  • User247697164 posted

This is one I have personally used and found fairly easy to use:

http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/WebChart/Default.aspx

I started getting fairly complicated in some of the stuff I wanted to do and I think I outgrew it, but I thought it was a very easy to use charting control and it's free.  [:D]

Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:32 PM
  • User-1946029919 posted

Hi surfer5,
    First of all, thank you very much for your previous replies.

When attempting to use the WebChart, I faced some problems as follow:

1.  I cannot find the XCustomEnd property in ChartControl. Meanwhile, using XValuesInterval
    do not help display the last datetime point of X-axis correctly as the last datetime point selected from database (Note: I fetched a DataReader into the Chart)
    How can I affect the last label on X-axis?

2. I am planning to draw a line chart of an stock index value series and a column chart of an transaction volume series in the same chart control.
    Does the WebChart support the Line-Column on 2 Axes (as we see in Ms Excel)?

Let me see some your fine output if possible[8-|]

Saturday, January 20, 2007 12:26 PM
  • User2142720918 posted
    hello sir, i am trying to use your web chart control in asp.net 2.0(c#). locally(i.e. at my personal computer) web char control is running fine but when i am trying to upload the webchart.dll into Bin folder of my web server,it is showing the following error and my website is not running entirely. please sir help me out. waiting for your solution. with regards, kunal Server Error in '/' Application. ________________________________________ Required permissions cannot be acquired. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Security.Policy.PolicyException: Required permissions cannot be acquired. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [PolicyException: Required permissions cannot be acquired.] System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Boolean checkExecutionPermission) +2770052 System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Int32& securitySpecialFlags, Boolean checkExecutionPermission) +57 [FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart, Version=1.1.1.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)] System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +0 System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +54 System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +211 System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +141 System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +25 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +32 [ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart, Version=1.1.1.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)] System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +596 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +211 System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +46 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +177 System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName) +185 System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed) +350 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories) +125 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectories() +525 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +448 [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart, Version=1.1.1.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)] System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException() +57 System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +612 System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters) +644 [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart, Version=1.1.1.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)] System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3465427 System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +69 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +279 ________________________________________ Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:07 AM