none
App settings required for MSDeploy on dynamic hosting plan? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to deploy a web project to a Functions App (with a dynamic hosting plan) using ARM. Essentially using a combination of this sample (for the dynamic service plan and functions app service), this sample for the MSDeploy resource, and this sample (for hosting the Function in a web app).

The issue is that there appears to be a race condition, as setting the app settings causes the app service to restart asynchronously, which can cause the MSDeploy step to fail. This is documented here, with the suggested workaround being to run MSDeploy first and have the other services depend on it.

I have tried to do this (move the app settings into their own resource which runs after MSDeploy), however then the MSDeploy steps does not seem to actually deploy the web project. The deployment logs that it was successful, but I can find no trace of the web project files in the site root, or any MSDeploy logs (from looking via Kudu).

This problem didn't occur when I was using a dedicated hosting plan, so am I right in thinking that there are certain app settings that are required to be set when using a dynamic hosting plan before MSDeploy can be run? If so, is there a recommended approach for doing ARM deployments with this setup?

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I have a sample here that shows creating a Function App with msdeploy. Can you give that a try?

thanks,
    David

• Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by MikeLarah Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MikeLarah Thursday, May 4, 2017 12:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sjoukje ZaalMVP, Owner Tuesday, August 1, 2017 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:51 PM

All replies