Wizard Hangs RRS feed

• Question

• VS2010 / Windows7 64

I cannot create a data model using the ADO.Net Entity Data Model template. The wizard takes me through all the steps just fine. Select the tables I want... click ok, and off it goes, but it never comes back! I have to kill VS with task mgr.

This is very frustrating. No clue where/why it hangs. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:04 PM

Answers

• Do you have a lot of tables and associations? If so, the layout portion (where it determines where on the diagram each entity type should be) can take a bit of time...

Cool tools for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework 4:
     huagati.com/dbmltools - Rule based class and property naming, Compare and Sync model <=> DB, Sync SSDL <=> CSDL (EF4)
     huagati.com/L2SProfiler - Query profiler for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework v4
    • Proposed as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Friday, October 22, 2010 8:51 AM
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:48 AM

All replies

• An update: When creating a new model, If I kill VS2010 using task mgr after it hangs. The edmx was created. It exists in the solution the next time I open VS2010; however, none of the mapped objects exist. It seems like I can indeed create the mappings without any problems at this point.

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Do you have a lot of tables and associations? If so, the layout portion (where it determines where on the diagram each entity type should be) can take a bit of time...

huagati.com/dbmltools - Rule based class and property naming, Compare and Sync model <=> DB, Sync SSDL <=> CSDL (EF4)
     huagati.com/L2SProfiler - Query profiler for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework v4
    • Proposed as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Friday, October 22, 2010 8:51 AM
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Hello,

As an alternative, please try to create an empty model and then right click the designer and select update model from database, can this work around the issue?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Another possible workaround: try generating the model using the 'Model Comparer' feature in Huagati DBML/EDMX Tools. If indeed the Visual Studio model creation wizard hung when generating the layout that may solve it as the add-in generate a more simple initial diagram layout. You can download the add-in and get a trial license at http://huagati.com/dbmltools/ if you want to try it out.

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:17 PM