Hyperlink function does not allow me to open the hyperlink RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a column that contains paths to files stored in a shared network drive (mapper locally in my machine).

I have inserted the =hyperlink() function, and I can see that the cells are properly "hyperlinked" (when the mouse roll over the pointer became a little hand).

when I click on the cell though, nothing is happening... how can I try to find what the problem is???

Many thanks all!

Cheers

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Ivan -

I found that if there is any error in the link, the hyperlink formats properly, but does not do anything. To debug, I construct the link in a separate cell, then pass that cell as the entry to the Hyperlink:

=HYPERLINK(AM27, "My Hyperlink Friendly Name")

where the entry in AM27 would be the link itself (e.g. \\... \NetDrive\UserShares\MyStuff\TheFile.pdf) or whatever formula is needed:

e.g. AM27 formula ="\\... \NetDrive\UserShares\MyStuff\TheFile.pdf"

or ="\\...  \NetDrive\UserShares\MyStuff\" & C27 & ".pdf"

Calculating the link separately from the Hyperlinks() function allows you to verify the link because you can right-click on an empty cell, pick hyperlinks and enter the formula result (what is in AM27) as the 'Address'.

-MainSleuth You've Got It, Use It! Engineering, Science, Statistics Solutions http://ToolSleuth.com

• Edited by MainSleuth Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Chenchen Li Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:22 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:43 AM