Developer Account + Developer License??

Question

• This is a bit of a combined issue.  I'm attempting to get a developer license for my Dell Venue 8 Pro so I can start testing some game concepts, but it seems that I'm unable to.  It keeps saying "We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8.1"  Error code is 0xC03F1014

Searching around, this typically seems to be one of two main issues: One either upgraded from Windows 7 (or 8), or the OS is an illegitimate install.

Checking on information, it appears that this unit never had an earlier version of Windows (it SHIPS with Windows 8.1, not 8) and it was restored (I had personally restored this unit) through the built in Windows Reset function.  Before resetting it, it was running normal (and reported that it was activated), as well as after the reset.

I attempted via both GameMaker Studio (goes through PowerShell), Visual Studio 2013, and through PowerShell, myself.  No dice.  I attempted a refresh, re-installed Visual Studio (and GameMaker Studio) and once again tried those three routes of gaining a license.  Once again, nothing worked.

Now as odd as it might sound to me, I'm curious - do I actually have to get a developer ACCOUNT first, and -then- sign in to obtain a developer license for my tablet?  Or, should it work regardless?

I've also noticed that this seems to be a fairly common issue going on, judging by my searches.  Is there a fix in sight?  Is there any workaround that DOESN'T consist of trying to re-install (or reset) my tablet?  Lucky for me it's early enough in it's 'lifetime' that I could safely do so without too much of a loss, but considering some of my programs have a limited amount of uses for their registration keys, I really, REALLY would like to NOT re-install said software constantly.

Friday, December 6, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• Developer licenses and developer accounts are not directly related. You don't need a Windows Store developer account subscription to get a developer license.

There are known issues being investigated regarding this error, but they aren't something we can troubleshoot on the forum. For individual help please open up a case with by visiting http://aka.ms/storesupport. Choose "Developer Tools" to open a support case on this topic

--Rob

Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:01 AM

All replies

• Developer licenses and developer accounts are not directly related. You don't need a Windows Store developer account subscription to get a developer license.

There are known issues being investigated regarding this error, but they aren't something we can troubleshoot on the forum. For individual help please open up a case with by visiting http://aka.ms/storesupport. Choose "Developer Tools" to open a support case on this topic

--Rob

Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Microsoft Customer Support directed me back to here, it would seem. According to the rep, "This issue is outside our scope as Developer Customer Services as we are not a technical team..."

They suggested to run PowerShell with admin rights... though I've done that already.  I tried again though and once again, nothing worked.  It said it couldn't get the developer license.

Alternate accounts to get a license, refreshing the machine... none of that worked.  This is definitely getting to be quite frustrating.

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

It sounds like you got connected to the wrong team. Did you open the case through the Developer Tools link with Problem type "Development tools and languages" (the default)? That should get you to technical Developer Support, not to non-tech customer services.

--Rob

Monday, December 9, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I think I did goof there... Now I've selected "Development Tools and Languages", and "Other", though nothing is listed for email.  I'll wait until tomorrow and try to contact Microsoft.  If I can't, are there any other forums or people you could direct me to for assistance as well?
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:29 AM
  • I am having exactly problem on A new Surface PRO 2. And have tried all the PowerShell solution with the result of an error from PowerShell.

I contacted Microsoft via the link above but it appears that I have to pay for assistance.  I have a MSDN Professional account (which apparently is not good enough) and the Surface is one month old and do not believe that I should have to pay for this problem's solution.

I have Visual Studio running on another Wind w 8 computer and on a Windows 7 computer with no Developer License problem.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I have now found out that with a Developer account, as I have,  I can have two free assistance instances from Microsoft.  But this isn't really a developer problem. It is a Surface problem in that the most aggressive refresh/restore does not really wipe the current instance of Windows 8.1 clean, it appears.  Hence the problem with the developer license. The solutions on the web that I have seen, indicate that if the PowerShell solution does not work, you have to ask Microsoft's assistance.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 8:15 PM
  • If you have a system wide problem rather than specifically a problem getting the developer license then you'll need to address the underlying system problem. The developer license issue will probably go away when the system wide problem is fixed. For help with system problems please post in the Surface or Windows 8.1 forums on http://answers.microsoft.com . If a full factory reset doesn't fix your problem then you probably either have a deep problem with the specific unit or the problem is external to the system: possibly caused by something installed after the reset or a problem with your network or proxy.

If you are just running into the error code 0xC03F1014 problem acquiring a developer license then this is generally caused by registry issues. Please contact developer support as described above and we can analyse the system to help fix it.

--Rob

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:55 PM
  • I have contacted Microsoft.  They responded within the past hour with a Power Shell script to run that made 40 changes to the registry.  And everything is fixed.

And for anyone else with this problem you need to do the same, since you cannot fix it on your own.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:05 PM
  • How did you contact them?? I checked in the support section but I have to pay...
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:44 AM
  • I am sorry that I didn't see this request until now.

Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/apps/hh690938 and under App development, select Developer tools

Then Under Problem type select Development tools and language.  Under Category select Other

Then on the next page under Microsoft support Start request.  You will then be asked for your Microsoft account's username and password.

Finally o the next screen under Choose a payment method, select Windows Store Account.

That is how I received free help.  You are given two such free assists under a Store account.  And it is my understanding that even if you use the credit card payment method, if it is determined to be  Microsoft caused problem, you don't pay.  And I would hope that under the Store account payment that if it is a Microsoft caused problem you don't have to use one of your free assists.

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:25 PM