none
CE 6.0 R3: My clock resets itself to Dec 31, year 6239 whatever I do. Can you help? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am a CE user and IT pro for Windows (full OS) deployment. I have a WinCE 6.0 device and the system clock defaults to 4000+ years ahead of present time - which tends to make it difficult to connect to a network. Any attempts at setting the clock (in CE Control Panel directly, GPS time sync, UI app, etc.) do not work. I can only change the time zone - probably because it is a reg key. Is there anything I can do from WinCE to reset the data or change the default to something less than 4000 years in the future? Otherwise the device is kind of a brick until the year 6239.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

What is the device that you are using, I mean the processor and hardware specs?  Does it have an external RTC? If it does have an external RTC, is the communication with the same working fine? 

Check how OAL handles the Time functions. I guess that would probably help you out.

Regards,

Vaisakh P S

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:05 AM
  • It sounds like you are not the device developer and that you probably have purchased the device.  If that is the case, then you need to contact your vendor.  There is either something wrong with the hardware or the software.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:42 PM
  • You are correct. I am a consumer in this case - though I work in the Windows client team. I procured the device directly from Shenzhen, China and the after sales service is a bit of a non-starter here. I was hoping for a way to set the default time to a normal default value somehow with a modification to the registry or similar. Based on the scheduled tasks I see (and cannot modify), it updates itself on time change in several ways.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:12 PM
  • What kind of device is it ?

Usually you can modify the clock presented by the OS using its setup.

When you modify the time via control panel it is also modified in the hardware. Because, usually the clock is hardware's responsability, so you can turn off your device and the hardware keeps the clock running, feeded by a battery. Then, when the OS comes out it gets the time from the hardware and only adjusts it based on the timezone set.

So, if the control panel is useless and you cannot access its BIOS, talk with someone with technical knowledge from the company you have bought it to help you.

Good luck

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:51 PM