none
Any experience with BPM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm about to read some books about Business Process Management (BPM). Does anyone have experience
    with BPM?

1. Have you developed your own BPM system or used an existing product? which product?
    2. Can you recommend some good book or resource regarding BPM?

3. Any other details will help.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi JohnyGoldberg,

Just like SOA and ESB, BPM has become overloaded and over hyped buzzword in the recent years.  The core of BPM is basically design, modeling, execution, monitoring and optimization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Process_Management)

JohnnyGoldberg wrote:

1. Have you developed your own BPM system or used an existing product? which product? 

we have developed BPM system using several disparte tools even before it was recognized as BPM (Organic development) on different parts of business in several companies I worked with.

Before I even recommend a product (savvion, filenet p8, ibm process manager, ms biztalk, software ag, bea-oracle, Pega, metastorm, etc.,) I would like to know what type of problem you want to solve.  Each vendor is strong on different areas.  For example, FileNET P8 is great for human workflow process management(XPDL based), where as ibm process manager and ms biztalk, bea aqualogic are better at automatic or system2system type process management (BPEL based), although lines are starting to blur, and there are pureplay vendors like savvion, lombardi, metastorm that has done a pretty good job to cover most of the BPM needs.

JohnnyGoldberg wrote:

The following are my resources on BPM.  I did not really use a book, since I transition from Workflow Management and ECM expertise into BPM.  So the foundational concepts of BPM was given for me.

www.bpminstitute.org [Search for Bruce Silver artilces/white papers]

www.bpm.com

www.wfmc.org

www.redbooks.ibm.com [Search for BPM]

http://www.abpmp.org/ [Association of BPM professionals like IASA for architecture]

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi JohnyGoldberg,

Just like SOA and ESB, BPM has become overloaded and over hyped buzzword in the recent years.  The core of BPM is basically design, modeling, execution, monitoring and optimization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Process_Management)

JohnnyGoldberg wrote:

we have developed BPM system using several disparte tools even before it was recognized as BPM (Organic development) on different parts of business in several companies I worked with.

Before I even recommend a product (savvion, filenet p8, ibm process manager, ms biztalk, software ag, bea-oracle, Pega, metastorm, etc.,) I would like to know what type of problem you want to solve.  Each vendor is strong on different areas.  For example, FileNET P8 is great for human workflow process management(XPDL based), where as ibm process manager and ms biztalk, bea aqualogic are better at automatic or system2system type process management (BPEL based), although lines are starting to blur, and there are pureplay vendors like savvion, lombardi, metastorm that has done a pretty good job to cover most of the BPM needs.

JohnnyGoldberg wrote:

The following are my resources on BPM.  I did not really use a book, since I transition from Workflow Management and ECM expertise into BPM.  So the foundational concepts of BPM was given for me.

www.bpminstitute.org [Search for Bruce Silver artilces/white papers]

www.bpm.com

www.wfmc.org

www.redbooks.ibm.com [Search for BPM]

http://www.abpmp.org/ [Association of BPM professionals like IASA for architecture]

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Thanks. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I would also advise contacting the different BPM Vendors and request their white papaers and additional information.

Microsoft has a Business Process Alliance that combines 10 of Microsoft's gold partners that have a BPM software offering. I'd advise checking vendors that use Microsoft's platform: PNMsoft, K2 and Metastorm

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:44 PM